Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #1 
nomoretickets

another with clamped fins

to catch up anyone who may not know. last week my hmpk, crackhead, suddenly became lethargic and clamped his fins. did a 100% water change, but by that night we was dead. His tank mate, hippy, was showing some early signs, so i started him on a cycle of salt treatment. now today out of no where, my cello crowntail casper has clamped fins, and his tail is pink. its not a growth, but looks like pigment. is this inflammation or what? ive attached photos. he is also exhibiting some of the same behavior. he will randomly swim in short burst around the tank, and just spring away from anything he touches. so what is this that it not only jumped tanks, but jumped dorm rooms (the first two fish live in my gf's room)?
Attached Images

nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #2 
turtle10

Could you give us more tank info? Filling out the sticky would help :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 
nomoretickets

oh yea sorry, i had done one for the other guy forgot to for this one
Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #4 
nomoretickets

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon divided
What temperature is your tank? 81*
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? female betta on the other side of the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets/bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6 days a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% with a 100% once a month
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra safe start

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? tail has turned pink
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? clamped fins, every now and then darts around the tank and "jumps" away from anything he touches
When did you start noticing the symptoms? late last night (around 2am)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? moved him to a 1 gallon hospital bowl. heated to 79*. dosing 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt. daily 100% changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe a year?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #5 
nomoretickets

any input?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #6 
briser

Could it possibly be because it's divided with a female? That may be stressing him out and causing him to have clamped fins. I don't think male and female bettas are supposed to be housed in divided tanks together.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #7 
BettasForever

I agree with briser. Try seperating them to see if he loosens up. :)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #8 
nomoretickets

as far as i know, housing a male and female in a divided tank should not be a problem. these two have been living together for several months now and get along wonderfully. I also dont see how the possible stress from this would cause clamped fins, erratic behaviour, and inflamed fins, especially considering these same symptoms popped up in two of my other fish, neither of whom were housed with females. its a valid theory if he was acting a bit off, but it just doesnt fit the symptoms.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoretickets View Post
as far as i know, housing a male and female in a divided tank should not be a problem. these two have been living together for several months now and get along wonderfully. I also dont see how the possible stress from this would cause clamped fins, erratic behaviour, and inflamed fins, especially considering these same symptoms popped up in two of my other fish, neither of whom were housed with females. its a valid theory if he was acting a bit off, but it just doesnt fit the symptoms.
I agree with you here, it is probably something else. Is it always at exactly 81 degrees? Maybe you could try lowering it a little see how he likes it. The bettas may have prefered 76-78 degree water. Picky bettas lol.

Just throwing a theory out there. I really don't know, but is must be something environmental that is doing it to them.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #10 
nomoretickets

ive also thought that it might be water temp, but most of the fish in these water temp are still doing okedoke so idk. im probably going to lower it anyway. it cant hurt. right now im leaning towards something got into the city water supply. our water quality isnt exactly the best sometimes