Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #11 
loretta4

loretta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Don't be so hard on yourself......1gal is fine IMO......

I would get him in high dose of aquarium salt 3tsp/gal at this stage of the game....along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days-if you have something smaller to put him in...that will be easier on both of you...

Pre-mix the salt 3tsp/gal in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and if you have any tannins from either IAL or dried Oak leaf to steep in the pre-mixed treatment water all the better....this will help make correct dosage and daily water changes easier too.....water temp needs to be lower in the 75-76F range during treatment....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #13 
loretta4

Okay, will do. Thank you so much. Where do I get IAL or dried Oak leaf?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

IAL....I think the only place you can get that is on-line...most pet shops don't carry it....Oak leaf...I get mine outside off/under my Oak trees...naturally dried and fallen from the tree...as long as they are pesticide free...any species of oak leaf is safe to use.....I use about 10-12 crushed/gallon of water-steeped for at least an hour before use....the longer they steep the more tannins will be released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it.....
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #15 
loretta4

Oh, thank you everyone!

:) lol Oak leaves - that is just a hoot! I will get some IAL but I just went outside and there were a bunch of beautiful (no spots) oak leaves on my deck. Picked up that many and stuffed them in my 2.5 gallon of spring water treated with aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and lowered the temp in my bathroom to 75-76. I also added a little bit to Toby's tank. Toby was a little freaked out at first but did settle down and swim around the leaves (seems happy). I hope it is like catnip for Betta's ... I know my cats love the catnip! :)

I went to the pet store last night and hunted for a proper Toby tank (if little guy recovers). I heard the Hex 3 (3 gal) is perfect for Betta's (low water flow, filter) and then would get a small heater. Then I could "cycle", as you experts call it. I can't wait.

I am a little leary of live plants...is there a way to "de-fungus" them before using the plants in the tanks?

What a great resource for Betta Lovers!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #16 
loretta4

He's doing worse, not eating...sitting at the bottom all the time, new picture, not much different - maybe more grey spots?:

Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #17 
loretta4

I came home from work today and Toby was gone. Thank you for all your help everyone.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....sometimes these things happen and not much you can do...especially when you get them sick to start....don't give up....look forward to hearing about you next Betta....
Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #19 
loretta4

Thank you for your kind words. If I was to get another, where do you suggest I purchase another betta? The ones in the stores look more sick than mine did.