Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #1 
Cassandra90

Ick treatment? Not betta related but still an emergency.

I have a 55 gallon semi aggressive tank, and well today I noticed there was an ich outbreak, I have never had to treat for any form of disease.

I removed all the fish that have been showing ick symptoms. They are in a 10 gallon filtered and heated with gravel and a plant, which also I added some aquarium salt, and fungus rid.

In the 55 gallon I added the fungus rid tablets and some fungus rid liquid drops. Tomorrow I am planing on doing a large water change and clean everything. But I noticed just now that my large angel fish has ick on his fin, he is to large to add to the 10 gallon. What should I do? Either way I am going to treat both tanks but do I add the other fish back or leave them in the smaller qt tank?

Also I need all help, like I said I have never had to do a treatment like this. I have been always really careful.

Please and thank you!

I have posted this also on tropicalfishkeeping.com
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
I have a 55 gallon semi aggressive tank, and well today I noticed there was an ich outbreak, I have never had to treat for any form of disease.

I removed all the fish that have been showing ick symptoms. They are in a 10 gallon filtered and heated with gravel and a plant, which also I added some aquarium salt, and fungus rid.

In the 55 gallon I added the fungus rid tablets and some fungus rid liquid drops. Tomorrow I am planing on doing a large water change and clean everything. But I noticed just now that my large angel fish has ick on his fin, he is to large to add to the 10 gallon. What should I do? Either way I am going to treat both tanks but do I add the other fish back or leave them in the smaller qt tank?

Also I need all help, like I said I have never had to do a treatment like this. I have been always really careful.

Please and thank you!

I have posted this also on tropicalfishkeeping.com

Idk if you have cories in that tank (idk D;) but if you do, theyre sensitive to salt and cannot be treated with certain meds or salt.

What to dooooo:
Raise temp to around 82', if your fish will be okay in that.
Add in 1.5tsp of aq/gallon (LOTS OF SALT, whole thing, probably, heh..)
Do large changes each day, redosing what is lost.
Do moderate cleanings each day. Look for stuff that kills protozoan infections, which is what ich is- not a fungus.

High heat makes their life cycle short, which is good because theyre invulnerable to meds when in most stages of life. Only when free swimming and young can they be killed. Keeping at low temps will prolong their cycle and cause a head ache for you :( I use QuIck cure and it works well, in addition to heat, big water changes and salt.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #3 
Cassandra90

I have corys. I have angel fish, gouramis, rubberlip pelco, killi fish. I wasn't sure what to use. But I am going to my lfs tomorrow after work to get things that are needed, they should help since it is an aquarium store not a petco, petsmart etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote