Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #11 
Shayna09

Those little 75 cent clay pots you can get at Canadian Tire or Wal-mart work great as hiding spots as well. Just wash it in hot hot water and put it above the sand so the ADF can feel the smooth inside. One or two of them would be really cute in your tank.
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #12 
small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayna09 View Post
Those little 75 cent clay pots you can get at Canadian Tire or Wal-mart work great as hiding spots as well. Just wash it in hot hot water and put it above the sand so the ADF can feel the smooth inside. One or two of them would be really cute in your tank.
That sounds like a great idea! My ADF just hides behind real/fake plants right now, which doesn't really offer that much protection or cover. Would I need to knock a hole in it, or how would I safely do that?
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #13 
LasColinasCichlids

Quote:
Originally Posted by small fry View Post
That sounds like a great idea! My ADF just hides behind real/fake plants right now, which doesn't really offer that much protection or cover. Would I need to knock a hole in it, or how would I safely do that?
No hole needed. The previous poster is referring to the garden section at Walmart, they sell small clay pots for small plants, but they arent painted or anything so they are safe for aquaria. I agree they would work, I use to have one in my 5 gal for my ADF...she wasnt a big fan so I pulled it out and gave her back her bridge she loved. Thankfully, not all ADFs are as picky, so yours might love one...and for under $1 its not a total loss. I will attach a pic of when mine was in the tank so you can see what it looks like...(these are old pics from different tanks, but the idea is the same)...
Attached Images

LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #14 
LasColinasCichlids

Quote:
Hey, I took a look at the link in your signature about tank mates for bettas. For the most part I agreed, except for a few things.
1- White Cloud minnows are cold water fish and could not be housed with bettas.
2- Guppies, although can be fin nippers, usually only nip each others fins...but that I dont think has anything to do with housing them with bettas as the biggest issue is the bettas thinking the guppies are another betta. I do plan on housing a few female guppies with my male once the guppy gals are large enough. I think the thing with guppies is that they should be kept in a large enough group as to not be bored enough to try and nip another fish's fins.
3- I have never had an issue where a store cant tell the difference between an ADF and an ACF...the difference is pretty noticable.
4- Danios (NOT the long finned variety) are a great match for bettas, however the most important factor in ANY situation when trying to find tank mates for a betta is the betta's personality. Some males are just way too mean to be housed with anything. However, there are more that can be housed with something else than those that cannot be.
5- I dont think plecos are a good choice for bettas. A couple of reasons...one is that except for a few varieties, most plecos are huge and require giant tanks that most people wouldnt think of introducing a betta to, and when plecos grow up they can be pretty mean, can eat small fish (an 18 inch pleco can make a snack out of a slow moving betta), and can just be a real bully.

At first I just thought it was a random article, but once reading through it, the fish had the same names as yours in your signature, so I dont want to seem like I am coming at you as a journalist or anything, or trying to discredit you in any way. I just wanted to point out my opinions on the topic that I have formed based on my research and experience. I did want to say that your article is very well written and that you have great journalistic skills!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #15 
Shayna09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
Hey, I took a look at the link in your signature about tank mates for bettas. For the most part I agreed, except for a few things.
1- White Cloud minnows are cold water fish and could not be housed with bettas.
2- Guppies, although can be fin nippers, usually only nip each others fins...but that I dont think has anything to do with housing them with bettas as the biggest issue is the bettas thinking the guppies are another betta. I do plan on housing a few female guppies with my male once the guppy gals are large enough. I think the thing with guppies is that they should be kept in a large enough group as to not be bored enough to try and nip another fish's fins.
3- I have never had an issue where a store cant tell the difference between an ADF and an ACF...the difference is pretty noticable.
4- Danios (NOT the long finned variety) are a great match for bettas, however the most important factor in ANY situation when trying to find tank mates for a betta is the betta's personality. Some males are just way too mean to be housed with anything. However, there are more that can be housed with something else than those that cannot be.
5- I dont think plecos are a good choice for bettas. A couple of reasons...one is that except for a few varieties, most plecos are huge and require giant tanks that most people wouldnt think of introducing a betta to, and when plecos grow up they can be pretty mean, can eat small fish (an 18 inch pleco can make a snack out of a slow moving betta), and can just be a real bully.

At first I just thought it was a random article, but once reading through it, the fish had the same names as yours in your signature, so I dont want to seem like I am coming at you as a journalist or anything, or trying to discredit you in any way. I just wanted to point out my opinions on the topic that I have formed based on my research and experience. I did want to say that your article is very well written and that you have great journalistic skills!!!
Thank you very much for your opinions. =) I will do a little article updating as far as your experiences go and remove the white clowd minnows - I didn't realize they were a cold water fish. Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #16 
LasColinasCichlids

Quote:
Thank you very much for your opinions. =) I will do a little article updating as far as your experiences go and remove the white clowd minnows - I didn't realize they were a cold water fish. Thanks again!
No, thank you for not being offended!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #17 
small fry

Neat! An article!

My turn to kindly point out afew things.
1. Small common plecos and "dwarf" plecos (such as rubberlip and bristlenose) usually work fine with bettas. I do not, however, recomend getting a pleco that is too much bigger than the betta, as commons can be mean.
2. I also do not recomend Zebra Danios with bettas. Bettas do not appreciate fast moving fish zooming by them all day long. They prefer slower tankmates, as Zebras are one of the dartiest fish on earth. Also, some Zebras will eagerly nip at fins.
3. Clawed Frogs and Dwarf Frogs have some very noticable differences. People should not be discouraged from getting an ADF in they are able to tell the difference.
4. Did someone say Corydoras are bad for bettas? I certainly wouldn't put Pygmies or Dwarfs with bettas, but larger species like adult albinos, bronze, 3 stripe, etc. usually work fine.

I think the article is written pretty well. No article is perfect, but your article has probably saved afew fish from the rath of bettas and vise-versa.

Good work!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #18 
Shayna09

Thank you guys! And of course I would not be offended, you were very obviously trying to be helpful and not nitpicky. I just got home from work and am sitting down to do a nice little edit. Also, about the plecos, I meant bristelnose plecos, I guess I should have been more specific.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #19 
FuulieQ

Fish flakes really don't have the nutrition requirements that ADFs need. I would not feed a frog fish flakes. Additionally, ADFS are bottom feeders by nature. Most frogs are unlikely to eat floating flakes, especially in a community setting when the fish will get to them before the frogs know it's food time. Just my opinion, though.

Anyway, I have four frogs currently residing in a ten gallon tank with two otocinlus catfishes. I feed them every other day, mostly "HBH frog and tadpole bites" soft pellets (formulated specifically for ADFs and ACFs! They're big for my lightly boned guys, though, so I split them in half) and occasionally bloodworms, which they love. I hand feed them with tongs to minimize wasted food in the tank, because I am lazy and want the water to be as clean as possible so I don't have to change it as often. :P The pellets sink, though, so as long as you suck up the leftovers the frogs will get them on their own, eventually.

Any other questions, just ask. :) I tried housing my betta and frogs together, but the fish was terrified of the frogs and stopped eating.... he never got used to them being there, so I moved him back out, haha. You must have a chill betta.

[edit] Also, when you get the pot, make sure the hole in the back is small enough that there's no way for a frog to get stuck in it. I've heard of people losing animals that way, and suffocation is a bad way to go. :( My little colony for some reason never liked the clay pot I got them (weirdos) but other people's frogs seem to love them, so it's a great idea. :D

Last edited by FuulieQ; 04-17-2011 at 01:30 AM.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #20 
LasColinasCichlids

My response to the previous poster is in purple, and theirs in black.

Fish flakes really don't have the nutrition requirements that ADFs need. I would not feed a frog fish flakes. Additionally, ADFS are bottom feeders by nature. Most frogs are unlikely to eat floating flakes, especially in a community setting when the fish will get to them before the frogs know it's food time. Just my opinion, though.
I agree to a point that it shouldnt be their staple food, I believe their staple should be a food created for them, like ReptoMin Frog, as calcium is a high need in their diet. However, a variety doesnt hurt, and if they are willing to eat them, there is some nutritional value.
As far as bottom feeders, yeah they are considered that. But any fish will quickly learn where the food is at. I have notcied with all the ADFs I have had over the years, that they prefer the floating pellets because frogs are more live hunters with scent, and the flake makes an easier target floating by verses a pellet on the ground. My current ADF, Bella, has an easier time with the flakes than the pellets, but eats both, plus the bloodworms and recently frozen brine shrimp.
Anyway, I have four frogs currently residing in a ten gallon tank with two otocinlus catfishes. I feed them every other day, mostly "HBH frog and tadpole bites" soft pellets (formulated specifically for ADFs and ACFs! They're big for my lightly boned guys, though, so I split them in half) and occasionally bloodworms, which they love. I hand feed them with tongs to minimize wasted food in the tank, because I am lazy and want the water to be as clean as possible so I don't have to change it as often. :P The pellets sink, though, so as long as you suck up the leftovers the frogs will get them on their own, eventually. Yes, ADFs are pretty slow to get their food!!! I dont bother with my leftovers because my snail is always there eating what the ADF and the Betta dont, thank goodness!! lol

Any other questions, just ask. :) I tried housing my betta and frogs together, but the fish was terrified of the frogs and stopped eating.... he never got used to them being there, so I moved him back out, haha. You must have a chill betta.
I have actually never had an issue with a betta and an ADF. My bettas have always been safely housed with other tankmates without any issues (except my very first betta way back in my teens, never tried to house with others). Then again, I find myself able to tell rather quickly if a betta has the personality capable of having tankmates. A gift, maybe? lol

[edit] Also, when you get the pot, make sure the hole in the back is small enough that there's no way for a frog to get stuck in it. I've heard of people losing animals that way, and suffocation is a bad way to go. :( My little colony for some reason never liked the clay pot I got them (weirdos) but other people's frogs seem to love them, so it's a great idea. :D I agree on animals getting stuck. Sadly I had a habrosus cory get stuck once under a log :( Usually if the flower pot is the smallest size they sell, the hole isnt usually big enough for even the daintiest of ADFs or bettas to get through.