Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #1 
Crazykat

The fish who had every problem

Well,
I got a new girl for my sorority over spring break, and this fish has everything wrong with her. I should have known it would be the one my little brother fell in love with.

First, she has very torn fins with finrot. Looks like someone stuck her in with another betta at some point. She's actually missing half of one of her ventral fins. That's easy enough to fix, and treatment is underway.

Second, she is blind. I'm not sure how I didn't notice it when I got her, but her eyes are opaque. So, she's in her own 2 gal jar.

Third, she had velvet. I'm pretty sure I've gotten that under control, but her scales still look rough to me. But wait, there's more!

Fourth, she has the biggest girth of any betta I have ever seen, and it's not so much in the belly as her whole front end. Like she has very wide ribs. I'm not sure if she's bloated, I haven't seen any poop, and I can't get her to eat. There's no pineconing.

So, my questions: Aquarium salt for the finrot or Epsom salt for possible bloating? Could the opaque eyes be a bacterial infection? Could parasites cause the massive front end? I wish I had my camera so I could post pictures! I can get pictures up by Saturday if they are needed.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Can't get her to eat.
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime dechlorinator, aquarium salt

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? See above
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? See above
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got her.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? She's been getting aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry I missed this thread! Epsom salt is used for bloating but you'll have to ask OldFishLady for the amount you're supposed to use. Is your fish still alive?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #3 
Crazykat

Sorry, life got crazy! I did use epsom salts as well as some antibiotics. My little brother wanted to take her back to nurse her to health, but I kept her because I was pretty sure what was going to happen and I didn't want him to see it. Sure enough, she ended up living about another day, and then she died of dropsy/bacterial infection/who knows what else. RIP sweet fishy, we barely knew you. The lesson I got out of this was that I shouldn't pity buy. It's sad, but I can do more to help the healthy fish that just need to be gotten into a new home before they get sick.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #4 
roadrunner

I'm sorry to hear about your betta. You tried all you could. And yes, pitty buy doesn't always have happy ending. Next time you should carefully examine fish before your purchase so you can enjoy his/her beauty longer. Good luck! Oh and one more thing - do not use salt longterm in the future. It's only good for treatments.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote