Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #1 
n3wport

I dont remember this happening with my past betta fish!

okay problems in order:
1. filter too strong, exchanging fish tank on friday (3 days) so is it safe to just keep the filter off until then?
2. my Betta fish is making bubble nests and isnt showing much interest in food.. including the freeze dried blood worms. I never saw him eat since I got him in the cup. its been 2 days!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wport View Post
okay problems in order:
1. filter too strong, exchanging fish tank on friday (3 days) so is it safe to just keep the filter off until then?
2. my Betta fish is making bubble nests and isnt showing much interest in food.. including the freeze dried blood worms. I never saw him eat since I got him in the cup. its been 2 days!
The tank is a 2.5 correct? (maybe I am thinking of another post?)
If so, it is safe to leave the filter off for three days. If it is the tank I think it is..minibow?
I would just unclip the filter all together if you don't plan on using it.
If you have only had him for 2 days he may just be getting used to things and getting comfortable..it took nearly a week for my one guy to feel upto eating something...I have heard you can try soaking the pellets in a little fresh garlic juice to try and get them to eat...but honestly..if its only been two days and otherwise he looks healthy I would just give him a little time.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Yeah- dont worry yet. After ten days, Id get sorta concerned, but youre gonna be fine :) Hope the exchange goes well!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 
n3wport

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 
fishman12

Yes, it's all good
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #6 
n3wport

Also, what I have to do is take him out of the tank and put him in something, like a big bowl or pot. I have to rinse out the tank and everything in it and take back the tank and exchange it at a store thats an hour away.. the whole process should take about 2-3 hours.. Im scared he will die!! should I buy one of those little plastic "critter cages"? and put him in that?
He seems happy in his new tank he has now, he just swims around and flares and covered the whole side in bubbles. but I know he will love a 5 gallon with a better filter!
Also, what filters do you guys use? I really cant find a good one and this is trhe reason Im taking back this tank! or if someone can explain to me how this sponge thing works. I have a sponge at my work (pet store) and its safe to use on the filter.
Sorry I keep asking questions I just dont wannahurt my fishie!!! =(
Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Put him in the cup he came in for that little bit, with nice, clean water and put him in a warm, dark spot. He'll be fine! :D You wont kill him. My wc's take hours themselves (weekly) and my nearly king-sized betta gets plopped into his tiny walmart cup. He gets mad, but hes fine <3

Look for tanks with filters in them as a kit. Most work ok, but almost all need to be baffled. Bettas are unusual and cant deal with current like most fish. Once you find the filter you want, you take that sponge (ONLY AQ!!) and rubber band/use fishing line to hold it against the filter's outtake (water fall) with part of it dipped into the water, so it doesnt make waves.

:D

I have a 5 gallon marineland hex and like the filter (baffled) and the tank. I also have a walmart kit 5 gallons with some sort of marineland filter, but Idk what model. *shrug* It works ok, but is big D:
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote