Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #11 
vaygirl

Tango, also a Dalmation, has the exact same thing on one side. He also got this weird lump under his eye that popped and looked like a pimple. It's healing up now but it freaked me out. But he was active the whole time and acting fine. I added some Indian Almond Leaf to his tank and I'm just keeping an eye on him, keeping his water clean, etc. I added an extra water change per week for him just in case.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #12 
peaceablegarden

This guy is perfectly normal in every other way. He was rip-raring ready to eat this morning in his, feed me, feed me, feed me up & down the side of the tank way. His 'zit' is behind his gill but slightly infront of his pectoral fin. Day 5, no change so far.
peaceablegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #13 
pdxBetta

Difficult to tell from your photos, but it appears to me that it may be lymphocystis. Lymphocystis is a virus that is somewhat analogous to herpes in humans. It is thought to be caused by stress. Viruses can lead to secondary infection, which can be medicated for, but the virus itself is untreatable. The good news is, that the virus can go into remission if the fish is otherwise healthy and stress-free. Lymphocystis is contagious to other fish, particularly other fish in the same species. Lymphocystis enters the fish's system via minor injuries. It is not contagious to humans.

Keep in mind, this information is only valid if it is indeed lymphocystis. I cannot tell with any certainty from your photos. Lymphocystis tends to look much like cauliflower, especially as it advances.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #14 
peaceablegarden

The thought crossed my mind. I've had this guy for almost a year. I'm sure hard to know, but would I have seen this in him before this if he had been harboring it? He certainly isn't showing any ill effects from it like lethargia or fin clamping which could point to lymphocystis. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #15 
pdxBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceablegarden View Post
The thought crossed my mind. I've had this guy for almost a year. I'm sure hard to know, but would I have seen this in him before this if he had been harboring it? He certainly isn't showing any ill effects from it like lethargia or fin clamping which could point to lymphocystis. Thanks for the thoughts.
If he was infected, he may not have shown it for the past year. A virus can be latent for decades. Or, the virus may have just taken advantage of a recent injury.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #16 
peaceablegarden

UPDATE: It looks as though pdxBetta was correct. I do believe this is lymphocystis (a virus). The fish has been active, eating, and pooing normally now after 3 weeks since discovering the growth. It appears that it will subside eventually on its own and could take months and that it is generally nonfatal.