Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
etanico

Water Testing??

A few people recommended that I get a water testing kit for my new five gallon.

Where can I find a good quality one for less than $20?
ALSO!
When doing water changes....how exactly do I get the water out...heh?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #2 
JackisLost

I have a 5 gallon and I don't have a test kit. It's not that essential for betta keeping unless you want to know water parameters and get away with not cleaning your tank safely. But in my 5 gallon, almost everyday I change 1 gallon and on weekends I change 3 gallons. I use a 1/2 hose to siphon the water out. Usually takes 1-2 minutes each gallon
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #3 
Betta Fet

Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
Where can I find a good quality one for less than $20?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...54&pcatid=4454

Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
When doing water changes....how exactly do I get the water out...heh?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...89&pcatid=3889
Betta Fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 
tracyalexa

Now I am confused. You don't test your water? How do you know its safe? I'm a pretty new betta owner, but I've read it so many times that I thought it was almost a requirement ?
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #5 
Harley

IMO I would definately get a water test kit. Even if you're doing water changes you don't really know how the water is until you test it. My tap water for example is on the high side of the Ph scale so I like to make sure it doesn't go off course too much. Its your fishes health and he/she relies on you to do it right. Everyone has their own opinions on water changes and testing but I would highly recommend testing your water at least once a week. The vacuums are good for getting all the poop and old fish food (if it falls to the bottom) out of your tank. Its easy to do and takes no time at all. The water test kit I use is this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754034

it's a bit out of your price range but is highly recommended by many people here. You can get individual test kits for Ph, Ammonia, etc but the kit is obviously cheaper than buying them all separately. At the least I would get the Ph and Ammonia ones. Good luck.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #6 
Betta Fet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The water test kit I use is this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754034

it's a bit out of your price range but is highly recommended by many people here.
That's the same one I linked to...only at a higher price...
Betta Fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #7 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Fet View Post
That's the same one I linked to...only at a higher price...
Sorry, good old Canadian pricing...
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #8 
JackisLost

Sorry for confusing you. A lot of people here like to test their water to manage their bettas. I take care of my bettas a little more loosely. I increase my water changes a little above average and I have really good filtration canisters. I don't worry too much about water perameters (tap water and prime), and I believe they are doing great. Had my neon tetras, rasboras, SAE's and Betta in my large tank for over 2 years.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #9 
Neutron

If you can't buy a FULL test kit, at least get a test kit for ammonia.

Here it's about $10 and ammonia IMO is the most important thing to test for. If you aren't planning on cycling your tank, you can be okay with just an ammonia test. You can test for ammonia every other/every 2 days and once you see readings then change some water.

I have two bettas in a divided 5.5 gallon tank and have a test kit just for ammonia. I also have a test kit for everything else for my bigger tank but once I see ammonia in the bettas tank I change about 50% of the water. Now I don't test it as often because after about a month of testing I know when the water needs changing.

I wouldn't worry too much about you pH level. It's better just to leave it where it is instead of using products to make it go up or down...
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #10 
Neutron

And to get water out, use a siphon and direct the hose into a big enough bucket. Its the easiest, less mess way. You can buy one for like $10 at Petsmart or any pet shop. It's helpful because you can clean the gravel at the same time. Instead of trying to explain how it works just youtube it :P..
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote