Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #81 
phoenix91

This is just what i was looking for. i think i'm going to go for the sponge option on the whisper filter i have, although oddly my fish seems to quite enjoy slight water flow. When i change out say 1/3 of the water he always come up and plays in the water trickle when i add new water. I think i'll still baffle the filter though just in case.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #82 
BluInk

I know this was originally posted in 2009, but still want to say thanks! I was able to create one in no time and I also want to share something that happened as a direct result of using this that people might find helpful.

I made mine for a Decco Art Nano filter (on a modified Mini Bow 2.5 gallon tank) and it worked great. I had just switched from keeping my betta in a bowl to a filtered tank and the water flow seemed like it was too strong, even turned all the way down, especially since my guy is kinda little.

A few days after installing the baffle, I was looking in the tank and couldn't find my betta, Coco. Then I saw him, IN THE BAFFLE. He was using it like a hammock!!! It kinda freaked me out, I thought he might be stuck in there, or worse, that he had drowned. I pushed down on the baffle and he just swam out, like nothing happened.

I decided to remove the baffle after that because, obviously, he wasn't bothered by the flow of the waterfall. Maybe it was like a massaging shower head for him or something since he now likes to swim into the waterfall. But I didn't want to take any chances, so I removed it.

So, the baffle is easy to make and works like a charm. Just be aware that your betta might decide to take a nap in it!
BluInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #83 
Lion Mom

"So, the baffle is easy to make and works like a charm. Just be aware that your betta might decide to take a nap in it!"

YUP - that is why I always recommend an aquarium sponge/foam baffle. ESPECIALLY reading about one of our posters here losing her curious betta when he swam into the water bottle, but couldn't get out. Poor thing drowned.

Here is a pic of one of my tanks with an aquarium sponge used as a baffle. MUCH safer than the plastic bottle baffle, IMO.

Not only is the sponge/foam baffle safer, but it gives the "good" bacteria another place to grow! AND it's easy to control how much flow you want - pull it up for more flow & down for less.
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #84 
BluInk

Nice, think I'll it.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #85 
BluInk

Works great, thanks Lion Mom!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #86 
alixhero

Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!
bettafish.com should give u some kind of reward !!!
alixhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #87 
Neil D

I used the bottle baffle, and I would reccommend bending the part that curves under the outflow to give it a more snug fit. Plus my betta swam through it. O.o
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #88 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluInk View Post
Works great, thanks Lion Mom!
You're welcome!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #89 
jesstanner

Hi, I have one question...does this make it very loud? My tank is in my rather small bedroom so I really can't have anything to loud!
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #90 
Neil D

The baffle at the beginning of this thread doesn't change the sound of the filter u already have. At least on my HOB filter
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote