Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

Whatever you decide to do, do NOT freeze the fish. Ever. Itll stay alive until its cells burst, a very painful death.

Clove oil methods, bludgeoning (fast and painless, but sad..) and something else(?) work well and are humane.

However, many members on the site have mixed views and info on this, so double check the dosings for clove, etc, to make sure its right. I dont know off the top of my head..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #12 
roadrunner

If you think it's necessary to do that, then ice water (keep adding ice) is probably the best way. I wouldn't do that unless you see your fish is in pain.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #13 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
If you decide to euthanize, I've heard that clove oil is good because it puts them to sleep first.
Found that on another thread, not about euthanization, but still.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #14 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Clove Oil: Use at a dosage of 0.25 ml per liter of water. Shake mixture vigorously. Add fish immediately, before the oil has a chance to separate. Once the fish is deeply anesthetized (does not twitch with gentle prodding, and no gill movement is observed), add lots of crushed ice to the water.
Found on another thread. :P This quote by redbettagirl.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #15 
Gizmothefreaky

I think we have settled on clove oil and vodka... poor guy... I feel so bad that there is nothing we can do.

Should the tank be completely cleaned and sanitized before getting more fish? And will the otos need to be quarantined? (( betta has been removed from the tank at this point.))
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

Yes, QT them, wait a while to add anything back to that tank. Tear it apart, wash everything, and then add the otos back. Watch them for a few weeks and if they seem alright, get another fish.

And roadrunner, that is very incorrect, that will be a cruel and inhumane death- it will not sleep and freeze like you or I, it will be alive until its cells explode from the cold, experiencing great pain all the while. Please do not use this method to euthanize your fish.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #17 
Gizmothefreaky

Thanks PewPewPew! Ill let him know... And i didnt even see that comment from Roadrunner... ^^; That was never a option anyway.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #18 
LolaQuigs

The cold shock method is different from freezing the fish; I'm not sure if that is what roadrunner was referring to....With the cold shock method, you place the fish in almost frozen water. The fish doesn't freeze, rather it dies quickly from shock of the sudden temperature change. This is a very controversial method, but often not considered as bad as placing a fish in the freezer. Blunt-force trauma and decapitation are the most accepted commoly-practiced forms of euthanasia. Clove oil isn't on the AVMA's list of humane euthanasia methods, largely because of lack of testing, but it does anaesthetize the fish before it dies. Clove oil is the method I would use because of the controversial claims about cold shock, and the fact that I could never bring myself to crush or decaptitate a fish :(

How long has the fish had dropsy? It's rare that a fish will recover, but it has happened before. If he's not suffering, your friend could do an epsom salt treatment to see if it helps. If the fish is suffering though, euthanasia is the most humane option.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #19 
roadrunner

I used ice water method once. I kept adding ice to the water until fish passed away. I did not even noticed when it happened. At that time it seemed to be most acceptable way for me.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #20 
Gizmothefreaky

Just wanted to give an update, my friend used the clove oil and vodka method and the fish passed away this afternoon.

May he rest in peace.