Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #1 
gardengirl13

lockjaw?? Help!!!

Oliver had what I'm assuming to be lockjaw last week. He was too excited when eating one day and his jaw locked shut! He can still breathe but can't eat. This went on for three days until I added epsom salt to the tank. The next day he finally ate. Not yesterday the same thing happened. He ate fine, then the next meal he couldn't open his mouth. This am he got a bite stuck and I grabbed the net to help him get it out because he panicked and he couldn't get air. But he finally got it out when I tried to net him. He wants to eat... very badly! We've tried breaking up worms (he hates worms) we tried crushing the betta bites and he can't eat them. I'm not sure what to do. I plan on adding more epsom to the tank when we get home from work. But I'm getting worried!
gardengirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea what could be causing this but I'm going to bump up this thread to see if anyone else can help.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #3 
gardengirl13

Thanks for the bump! I was coming here to do that today.

He is still acting this way. I do water changes every other day adding the epsom and he'll eat. But if I accidentally miss a day he can't eat??? i don't understand? Even doing plain water changes makes him not eat. It's only the salt that helps?

If I change the water in the evening, then feed him the next am, by the time we get home from work he has a good size bubble nest going. So I assume the salt and food make him very happy, but then by day two or three the nest is gone and he's back to not eating.

I just don't understand????
gardengirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote