Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #1 
Nihilist

Multiple important questions

whats up?

in my neverending quest for challenges, experiences, and beauty, i have decided to enter the breeding arena.

first and foremost, despite my best efforts at google, i cant find a book that goes into the geekishly minute details i desire about betta genetics. if someone might have a few titles to suggest, id appreciate it. the ones i find appear to be generic how to care books.

remember the challenges i was talking about? well i decided to raise good looking fish pulled from pet stores. ill probably buy a much more expensive pair at some point, but not now.

and despite alot of the opinion on the net, theres are alot of good looking fish with what appears to be good genetics in pet shops. i know what you see isnt what you get, but at least around here many of the bettas are privately bred regionally.

anyhow, some background: i have found 3 male fish (dragonscale halfmoon crowntail possibly cambodian, a cream cambodian with blood red on fins, and a fairly classic looking pink bodied/reddish head with blood red fin half moon cambodian) that ive read are recessive to wild types. additionally, im not sure if i have female plakats or what, but they were identified as being the females to the males in the cup which didnt include any plakat males. other than that mystery, they are what is described everywhere as wild types.

i have spawned a wt with a blue veil recently, but none survived due to rookie error i think. many hatched but died or were eaten.

so my actual question is if i let these fish hook up, what are the likelyhood of them looking anything like the father? i gather HM wouldnt transfer at all. how about the cream cambo? id like to produce some different looking fish to sell to the pet stores for varietys sake, and possibly finance a better quality female.

thanks in advance
Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I'm not sure what you mean by wild types. None of the fish you described are wild types. Wilds are separate species from domesticated betta (except wild splendens).

Your best bet to find information on genetics is to join the International Betta Congress and look at the technical assistance library as well as old issues of FLARE! magazine. You can also get advice from successful breeders.

Without seeing pictures of the fish it's hard to tell you what colors and tail types you can expect.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by wild types. None of the fish you described are wild types. Wilds are separate species from domesticated betta (except wild splendens).

Your best bet to find information on genetics is to join the International Betta Congress and look at the technical assistance library as well as old issues of FLARE! magazine. You can also get advice from successful breeders.

Without seeing pictures of the fish it's hard to tell you what colors and tail types you can expect.

the females are the dull looking bodies with some bluish iridescence along the cartiliginous frame. reddish finnage. when these are discussed as how they look in the wild, thats how they look more or less. i know at least one is a female as she threw a ton of eggs. ive read that breeding them with a wild type looking one degrades the appearance of the males greatly.
Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

If they are wild type bettas you need to be sure they are the same species as the males. Pictures would help.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote