Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #1 
Danielle

Betta just passed, strange illness?

My plakat Seiryū just died the other day. He was an import direct from the breeder in Thailand and was happy and healthy up until last month. He was 4 months old when I got him and I'd had him about a year.

Anyways, he developed what looked like a bubble at the base of his tail. That never seemed to bother him really, he ate well and was quite active. He did get mild fin rot at one point at which he was put in a hospital bucket with an IA leaf and treated with betta zing and antibiotics for two weeks. While transferring him to the bucket though the bubble on his tail popped and out came a silvery blue sludge. It almost looked like a build up of fin color cells. Anyways, after his treatment the bubble was gone and he was looking and acting fantastic so he went back into his tank. One week later the bubble was back, along with an additional one starting on his side. Not long after that he got popeye in which I started treatment on but didn't really respond. The last day or so he hid in his plants and wouldn't eat and then I found him dead.

Was this some sort of fishy cancer? I've never seen anything like it before. I wish I'd gotten pictures of it.

here's the tank info

Housing
What size is your tank? 2g heavily planted
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes, HOB filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Attison's Betta pro and Betta food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily with a one day break

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/3 - 1/2
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? They get RO water treated with Kent RO right and attison's betta spa

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: soft
Alkalinity:

The two tanks are identical and so are the betta's histories. Other than being a tail biter, Naz has had no issues, and the prior bettas had no issues either (Naga jumped out and passed that way, Fishy lived to a fairly old age (4-5 years).
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote