Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Talking This Was Fun To Do 8D

I just went all over Petco.com and spammed their .5 gallon tank reviews with this:

Quote:
I need to correct quite a few things that rookies to betta fish need to know... bad information means a badly kept betta fish. D:

First of all, Betta fish (mostly known as Siamese Fighting fish) are not from Japan. This is a common mistake, though... They're native to Thailand, so they're used to warm temperatures. Thus... they need a heater. 80'F is an ideal temperature for them. And to those concerned, no, this isn't too hot.
Secondly, Betta fish love bigger tanks because it's more room and there's more to explore. In their history, it's said that they lived in puddles, but they aren't the stereotypical puddles most think of... They live in rice paddies, which, as a person can imagine, has knee-deep water and about 550+ gallons of water. Lots of space.

It's also been proven that animals are smarter the more they can see, explore, etc. Fish are animals, so obviously it applies to them.
Bettas are also very sensitive to ammonia... and living in a .5 gallon means ammonia from what they eat and what they release from their bodies builds up fast.

I've been taking care of bettas for a long time. I have five right now, and I'm getting another two in a few weeks. The smallest tank I have for one of my males is a 1.5 gallon. It still might be small, but I do water changes every two days and he has a heater that keeps him at a comfortable 82'F. If I had a chance to get a bigger tank, I'd jump on it. 3 gallon is acceptable. 5 gallon is ideal.

Betta fish show that they are happy by building bubble nests, coloring up very well, even changing colors or their fins growing out longer. They'll really become active in both their environment and the environment outside the tank.

If you really love your betta fish, save the money for something bigger... At the least, a fish can be happy in a 1 gallon with lots of water changes. And you can also add more neat underwater decorations too!
Be smart about betta fish, and do your research thoroughly... they can live up to 8 years if well-kept.
Maybe I missed a few things, maybe I said too much. Lol... but basically I was saying that a .5 gallon is NOT acceptable (unless, of course, it's a tank for pictures only or during water changes). Hopefully those who are looking for a "neat, stylish, modern, fit-anywhere" tank will see my review and think about researching... or at the least, getting a bigger tank.

So who's gonna join me? =D

I had too much time on my hands tonight, lol.
But hey! One review a day helps bring awareness to first-time owners, right! Think of the bettas we'll save!! 8D
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Awww, six lookers, no takers. xD

I'm a one-man army then.
HOO-RAH!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #3 
tracyalexa

I think it's a good idea. I knew ZERO about Bettas and was going to buy one of those teenie tiny tanks. There are 2 petshops near me that will lead you away from the tiny ones and educate you. But the big chain stores, they will tell you they can live in a cup. grrrr.

What did you do w/ these? Put them on the shelves near the tanks or what?
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #4 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyalexa View Post
What did you do w/ these? Put them on the shelves near the tanks or what?
That's an idea, too. >>

I just left user reviews on Petco's website on all the .5 gallon tanks I could find. :D

But now that you mention it, I might print a few pages out and um... "forget" one of my papers by the tanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

With this website's address on it....

(That's what I plan on doing if I see anyone going for the .5 gallons when I go to get Aki's NLS and take a peek at the females. I really want a little girl betta but I guess it depends on who's really calling me.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #6 
Luimeril

i plan on taking a piece of paper and marker with me, next trip to walmart. :p if the cups are clean, and everyone's healthy, i'll leave a happy note! :D if the cups are gross, and few are healthy, i'll leave an angry note. in bright blue. >:3 cause, that's my marker's color.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #7 
LittleNibbles93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i plan on taking a piece of paper and marker with me, next trip to walmart. :p if the cups are clean, and everyone's healthy, i'll leave a happy note! :D if the cups are gross, and few are healthy, i'll leave an angry note. in bright blue. >:3 cause, that's my marker's color.
+1
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by luimeril View Post
i plan on taking a piece of paper and marker with me, next trip to walmart. :p if the cups are clean, and everyone's healthy, i'll leave a happy note! :d if the cups are gross, and few are healthy, i'll leave an angry note. In bright blue. >:3 cause, that's my marker's color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenibbles93 View Post
+1
+2
c:

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 04-14-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: wHY DOES IT KEEP LOWERCASING MY d'S?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
+2
c:
+3

:) (I might not leave a note if I decide something needs to be done...Oh no I'm gonna find the managers again and tell them I'm sorely disappointed. )
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #10 
RiverStoneBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
+3

:) (I might not leave a note if I decide something needs to be done...Oh no I'm gonna find the managers again and tell them I'm sorely disappointed. )
+ Hojillion

That's why I stopped shopping at chain stores.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote