Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #1 
autumnang

Unhappy Please help my betta...!

I'm going to answer as many of these questions as I can, but my betta, Stanley, is on his side at the bottom of his bowl and scaring me! I have moved him to the cup I use when I clean the bowl out completely to try and diagnose his issue... He used to live in my office, but when I changed jjobs last month, I brought him home and he lives on my breakfast bar now.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal bowl
What temperature is your tank? has a heater that regulates the temp at 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes,
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? just him, and two live plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none, using Fox Ledge brand bottled water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: have not tested the water, as I change about half every other day
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he looks the same
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is on his side at the bottom of the tank and not swimming much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, I dont know how
Does your fish have any history of being ill? never
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him, from a local pet store, for 6 months
Attached Images

autumnang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #2 
autumnang

well, i rushed out to the pet store and got Stanley a 2.5 gal WITH filter, new gravel (i washed it) and he just dove in... he's still at the bottom and when i put him in, it was like he was gasping for air at the top before falling to the bottom. I'm afraid he cant make it up to breathe... any suggestions welcome!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #3 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnang View Post
I'm going to answer as many of these questions as I can, but my betta, Stanley, is on his side at the bottom of his bowl and scaring me! I have moved him to the cup I use when I clean the bowl out completely to try and diagnose his issue... He used to live in my office, but when I changed jjobs last month, I brought him home and he lives on my breakfast bar now.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal bowl
What temperature is your tank? has a heater that regulates the temp at 78
Do you know for a fact that the water is at 78 or is that just what the heater says? Automatic heaters typically don't work well.
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes,
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? just him, and two live plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze-dried bloodworms
Freeze dried blood worms are a weekly treat only, they are like potato chips for fish. I suggest a healthy pellet like Omega One or New Life Spectrum.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40-50%
In an unfiltered 2.5 you should do a 50% and a 100% a week. If you never do a 100% the ammonia and other toxins keep building up.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none, using Fox Ledge brand bottled water
Bottled water does not have the minerals bettas need. You should use tap water with conditioner. I suggest Prime, you get the most bang for your buck.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: have not tested the water, as I change about half every other day
The chemicals still build up if you never do a 100% water change.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he looks the same
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is on his side at the bottom of the tank and not swimming much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, I dont know how
Does your fish have any history of being ill? never
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him, from a local pet store, for 6 months
He is probably suffering from bad water quality, as well as dietary issues.

I suggest you quarantine him for a while and float him in the main tank as to maintain heat. Do 100% daily water changes for now, making sure do keep even temperatures between new and old water. Keep this up for about ten days. If he starts showing signs of fungus or rot on him continue the treatment but add one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon for ten days.

Lower the water level now too so he can easily go up for air.

Last edited by turtle10; 04-14-2011 at 08:35 PM.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
turtle10

Hmm his fins too look a bit tattered… I would go ahead and do the aquarium salt treatment.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #5 
autumnang

thanks for the reply, I used tap water with conditioner to fill his *new* tank, and the woman at the pet store agreed that a diet of bloodworms is no good. The tak kit I bought came with Aqueon Tropical Flake food, but I will stop and get the pellets you are suggesting tomorrow.

I don't know for sure the temperature of the water, and will add a thermometer to tomorrow's shopping list.

I had been doing 100% changes about every other week, rinsing the gravel, etc... how often should I do water changes now that I have a filter?

Thank you for your reply, I really love this little guy and would HATE to think that my poor care would cost him his life...

I witnessed Stanley make it to the top for air (seemed to take a lot out of him) but I'm hopeful.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #6 
autumnang

yes, his fins are another story... it was over a month ago, he would swim in circles and nip his own tail! He finally stopped that and the back fin seems to have been mending since...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
thanks for the reply, I used tap water with conditioner to fill his *new* tank, and the woman at the pet store agreed that a diet of bloodworms is no good. The tak kit I bought came with Aqueon Tropical Flake food, but I will stop and get the pellets you are suggesting tomorrow.

I don't know for sure the temperature of the water, and will add a thermometer to tomorrow's shopping list.

I had been doing 100% changes about every other week, rinsing the gravel, etc... how often should I do water changes now that I have a filter?

Thank you for your reply, I really love this little guy and would HATE to think that my poor care would cost him his life...

I witnessed Stanley make it to the top for air (seemed to take a lot out of him) but I'm hopeful.
If it is a struggle for him to reach the surface then you really need to lower the water level.

Unfortunately it seems that the lack of good water has hurt him, but that certainly doesn't mean he won't survive.

100% every other week is too little, even in a 2.5 gallon, and his original one was smaller from what I read.. What size was his original tank? Was it the one in the photo?

In a 2.5 gallon with a filter you need to get a test kit so you can monitor the chemical levels. The filter will start to create the cycle and you need to have a test kit to monitor the spikes. Or you could ditch the filter and do a 50% and a 100% a week.

Thermometers are absolutely vital when using heaters because you could unknowingly cook/freeze your fish.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 
autumnang

I had him in the bowl behind his new tank - I will lower the water level, but then the filter wont work, so hopefully he'll be better in a day or so and can have the benefit of the filter. I will read up on water 'cycles' and get the testing strips...it's high time I took better care of Stanley!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 
autumnang

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
I had him in the bowl behind his new tank - I will lower the water level, but then the filter wont work, so hopefully he'll be better in a day or so and can have the benefit of the filter. I will read up on water 'cycles' and get the testing strips...it's high time I took better care of Stanley!

Don't get the strips, they don't work. They are very inaccurate.

The filter isn't cycled, so just remove the filter for now, because to be honest I don't think he will be better in a day. Things just don't work that fast.

And I meant lower the water level in the quarantine tank. You should put him in a smaller jar/container that you can set in the 2.5 gallon. You keep it in the 2.5 so it still gets the heat from the heater. He should be in a jar so you can easily treat him and do the 100% daily water changes, as aquarium salt will kill live plants.