Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #1 
jessicag

Please Help!! Fatal Finrot

Hello,
I need an opinion on what I should do with my two female bettas, a bit ago I decided I would be courageous and add some more bettas to my collection. I bought a five gallon tank, bought one fish for myself and two for my sister and added them all to the tank at the same time (all originally coming from those horrid cups). On the first day they all kind of kept to themselves but I started to notice that as each day went on their became a new leader, and one day one would had stress bars and become the leader the next day. This lasted about 2 days and a leader was finally established (the one whom nothing is wrong with). So for the next week everything was fine, they kept to themselves, feeding time was interesting but they managed to "assign themselves their own spots". Other than that they seemed to be fine and even seemed to be getting along as friends. But after a week, the two "subordinate bettas" I noticed were missing some fins, I immediately assumed that there had been some snacking going on, or at least fighting. So I seperated all three of them, my fish, Nala is in a 5 gallon tank of her own, and the two other ones are in 1 gallon tanks. My fish Nala, the darker blue/black one in the pictures below only has a chunk missing from her top fin, I am not sure what it is but she acts normally, swims around in circles at feeding time, explores the tank, eats like a big, has no stress bars. The only issue is that chunk of fin missing from the original scenario. On the other hand, the dominate one is doing fine in her own tank, but the lighter blue one at the bottom is having some major issues. Yesterday my sister said she noticed that her colour was very dull, she has red streaks near her gill (blood?) and a black dot on the top of her head. We did a water change immediately she gained some colour back but all the marks are still there, she eats and swims around but stays near the top a lot. Please see below pictures of them when they were healthy(first bought) and now. Thanks for your help
Housing
What size is your tank? Nala, 5 gallons Angel (lighter blue - blood marks) 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 73

Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Not currently

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets and 1 freeze dried bloodworms for a snack once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, 3 pellets per serving

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner and beta enviro clean by nutrafin
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not Nala, but Angel has gotten worse
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nala seems happy, and Angel seems off
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week after I got them, and yesterday for Angel's most recent symptoms
Have you started treating your fish? Water change and going to pet store tonight
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought them 2 to 3 weeks ago

Name:  gizmo 089.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  gizmo 084.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  nala 004.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  nala 008.jpg
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  nala 001.jpg
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  nala 011.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  32.9 KB

If you cannot see the attachments above, please view them from this link.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff370/jessicagloor/
jessicag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

In order to do a sorority you need at least five fish in a ten gallon tank so they spread out the aggression.

Do you have heaters for all of your tanks? You will need to raise the temperature of the injured fish's tank to around 77-78 degrees F for treatment; generally bettas need 77-82. If your other bettas' water is as cold as hers, you will need to increase their temperatures too.

Are you doing once weekly changes in the 1 gallon tanks? If so, this is not enough; a filtered 1 gal needs at least two 50% water changes a week, and an unfiltered tank needs two 50% changes and one 100% change per week. Clean water will help her heal and prevent secondary infection, and is necessary for the general health of the fish.

An aquarium salt treatment will help her injuries and prevent fin rot. 1 tsp. aq salt per day for 7-10 days, 100% water changes every day. You could do a salt treatment for your other fish to promote healing and prevent fin rot, but she doesn't look too bad; she should heal up nicely as long as you keep up on water changes.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 04-14-2011 at 06:39 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #3 
turtle10

+1 ^
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post

An aquarium salt treatment will help her injuries and prevent fin rot. 1 tsp. aq salt per day or 7-10 days, 100% water changes every day. You could do a salt treatment for your other fish to promote healing and prevent fin rot, but she doesn't look too bad; she should heal up nicely as long as you keep up on water changes.
Oops, I mean per gallon
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #5 
Luimeril

that ain't no fin rot. :d them girls be getting nipped.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote