Betta Fish Forum banner

Help is Needed

607 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Littlebittyfish 
#1 ·
Well, I'm new to the care of bettas and my dad already wants me to purchase a 10 gallon tank, but I don't know how expensive it may add up to be and how difficult it'd be to maintain a tank of that size. I never had plans to have more than a single betta at a time and I think that a 10 gallon tank would be too much for a single betta to live in. However, I'm new to bettas so I have no clue if it's a good idea to get a 10 gallon tank. How difficult would it be to maintain a tank of that size and how much would you estimate that it'd cost to maintain it? Can a single betta live in a tank of that size? I don't want to make the wrong steps that end up taking away the life of an innocent animal. If a single betta could get too stressed in a tank of that size I could always divide the tank into two and purchase another betta. That'll make both sides 5 gallons and I know that 5 gallons is plenty for a single betta. I'm just worried that I'll end a life that doesn't need or deserve to be ended. :oops:

#2 ·
I have two 10 gallons....one 5 gallon...one 2.5 gallon and soon to be another 2.5-3 gallon...

the 10 gallon is the easiest to keep in my opinion..and it was cheaper than the 5 gallon setup. My 5 gallon setup was about 30 dollars then I had to buy a heater so after heater it was about 45.00.
Petco has sales on their tanks every now and then..I got my 10gallon delux kit (included heater) for $38.99. All I had to buy were the plants and the sponge to baffle the filter.(already had my fish :p )

Of course all of this can be cheaper if you decide to buy used...thrift stores and craigslist have nice used tanks sometimes.. (i wasn't able to find any in my area).

One betta can live happily in a 10 gallon..If you get a 10 gallon you could also add a few tankmates.

#3 ·
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/2280522706.html

I checked out this offer that was posted on Craigslist, but I'm new to that site and wanted second opinions on this offer. It sounds like a great offer for the price because it comes with the decorations, equipment, hood, and gravel. The seller is around my area, so it shouldn't be difficult to pay him and receive the tank.

#5 ·
It's a relief to know that I'll be purchasing a $150-$200 tank for a much lower price. The only thing I'll have to do is purchase a stand because I don't have a stand that will hold a tank that heavy without causing damage to itself or other things around it. I'm not going to complain about the stand though since I'm going to get a tank for such a great deal. I can't wait to receive it. I'll contact the seller tomarrow about it. :-D

#8 ·
Luckily I can't either lol. I just KNOW ten would basically be impossible to clean up because I spilled between 2-3 gallons one time like you did. It really is ridiculously difficult. Plus it spilled and flowed directly underneath the extension outlet thing where all the fish stuff is plugged. I have never seen myself go as fast as I did to unplug that thing! Close call.

#9 ·
You should've seen what happened with my brother's old 55 gallon fish tank that he used for his lizard enclosure. He decided that it'd be "cool" to fill it up with water in his room on a stand meant for holding lizard enclosures and the water pressure was too much for it to handle. The bottom of the tank cracked and the stand collapsed causing a flood in our whole house. It went through the wood floor and downstairs where it looked like we had an underground waterfall with a river. It took hours to clean up the mess and evaluate the damage to our house. I'm smarter than him when it comes to animals and animal enclosures, so I'll make sure that I'm ready before filling up the tank. Amaya, my betta, will remain in the 1 gallon tank until the 10 gallon arrives and is set up. We're going to get the tank first tomarrow and we're going to get the stand next week. You have no idea how excited I am about this tank. :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.