Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #1 
Lion Mom

Exclamation I don't understand!!!

Hot Rod (the betta in my avatar) passed away today at only 9 months of age!!!

5 gal. tank filtered (cycled) & heated to a steady 80 degrees, live plants, Prime water conditioner, 50% PLUS water changes twice a week, good quality diet (New Life Spectrum & Golden Pearls), one fasting day a week. Cleaned his filter sponges twice a month in used tank water. No water parameters since I used up my testing kit years ago & never replaced it.

NEVER a moment of worry with him till yesterday morning when he was "sluggish" about eating, but did eat some. Just Wednesday afternoon he exercised with a mirror for 5 minutes and after that was SO proud of chasing off that "other" fish, he patrolled his tank showing off for another 5 minutes or so. Today - DEAD!!!

Yesterday when he was slow to eat I did a water change & added a whole IAL - to no avail.

NO signs of injury, illness or parasites.

I just don't get it!!! ANY ideas of what I might have done wrong?????
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Hot Rod (the betta in my avatar) passed away today at only 9 months of age!!!

5 gal. tank filtered (cycled) & heated to a steady 80 degrees, live plants, Prime water conditioner, 50% PLUS water changes twice a week, good quality diet (New Life Spectrum & Golden Pearls), one fasting day a week. Cleaned his filter sponges twice a month in used tank water. No water parameters since I used up my testing kit years ago & never replaced it.

NEVER a moment of worry with him till yesterday morning when he was "sluggish" about eating, but did eat some. Just Wednesday afternoon he exercised with a mirror for 5 minutes and after that was SO proud of chasing off that "other" fish, he patrolled his tank showing off for another 5 minutes or so. Today - DEAD!!!

Yesterday when he was slow to eat I did a water change & added a whole IAL - to no avail.

NO signs of injury, illness or parasites.

I just don't get it!!! ANY ideas of what I might have done wrong?????
Awe...I am so sorry about Hot rod.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

It could be he had a pre-existing illness. Or maybe it was just sudden and he just couldn't fight it off in time. You did what you could. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #4 
Tomsk

Sorry to hear about his death,sometimes its just sudden like humans I guess
Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Thanks guys!!

I am just SO frustrated - especially when I read about people's bettas living 5, 6, 7 years!!! Grrrrrr.............

Sure, I have hard water with high ph, but so does the breeder I usually get my bettas from (which is where I got this one) so I don't believe that has anything to do with anything.

Figures it would be one of my prettiest (IMO) with perfect fins and such a character!! He was always in a hurry to get where ever he was going in his tank - hence the name "Hot Rod".
Old 04-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #6 
tracyalexa

Really sorry to hear that.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 
TonyK

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you did everything right so don't blame yourself.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #8 
luluo

I'm sorry for your loss.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #9 
Pekemom

So sorry, Lion Mom. You sound like such a concientious and caring fish mom. I'm so sorry...=((
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
So sorry, Lion Mom. You sound like such a concientious and caring fish mom. I'm so sorry...=((
Thanks all!

I really do care about my animals & do my ABSOLUTE best for them. I don't cut corners on equipment or food or water changes (as my water bill will testify to).

It just irks me NO END to take care of my bettas like I do, have something like this happen and read/hear something like, "I used to have a betta in a 1 gal. (or smaller) bowl without any heat or filter and changed his water when it looked dirty and fed him when I thought of it and he lived 3 or 4 years." Grrrrr..............

Maybe "neglect" is the way to go & I'm killing them with kindness!

Sheesh - all my other fish (guppies, angels, cichlids & assorted) not only live, they THRIVE. So what the hell is going on with my bettas????!!!!