Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #1 
jschristian44

5th-7th time trying to breed

so i got the tank all setup to breed. the male now has a huge bubble nest and the female is pretty good with her eggs, vertical stripes. this is literally my 5th to 7th time trying to breed. i tried breeding with an older male and 2 different females several times and failed and now i got this breeder male who is very pretty and 2 different females. he seems to respond better to this female because she is the same color and she is smaller in size. so everything looks great in these pictures. i want to wait to release her even though she is swimming similar to the males pattern, but not s shape swimming, which is what i am waiting for. if i release her now, they will just chase each other and the female will be stressed. i need to pinpoint the exact time i should release her because i lost my hiding spots for her with some crappy substrated plants i had. she was in the jar for about a full day or so now and i need your advice on what the best thing to do is now. i know i need to be patient with this and that is why i am asking for it. please help so i am not doomed to fail again.

jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #2 
baylee767

This time I believe you've conditioned them, so...

I've never spawned Bettas (you probably know that) but I believe you should check all the signs except bars as those aren't usually important... I mean, preferably your female will have breeding bars, but so long as the body language seems right. So is the male flaring at the female and trying to lead her away to his bubblenest? Is the female frantically trying to follow him, acting submissive, ETC.? Then, IMO, you should let herout even though their not doing the "S" shape, but don't go by just me as I haven't spawned before. Just, um, wait for the next members input to confirm when I think thetn if they agree you should release her.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sometimes it's difficult for the female to show the S pattern in a small compartment. Is the female swimming all over the ..... jar. If she is, then she is responding to the male. Never the less I'd wait for another day or two before releasing - to reduce the chances of injury.

Good Luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #4 
jschristian44

hey guys
the female was actually showing the S pattern. she was frantically trying to get out and follow the male. so i guess thats good enough sign she was ready. tried releasing her last night. i was gonna wait til tonight to do it, but i figured the male has almost half the 10 gallon tank covered with his bubblenest and she was responding to him well. so i left her out and all that was done was fin tearing. i know its normal, but i was expecting more flirting than chasing. so im keeping her in there until tonight so they will wait even more until they are together, which should make them want each other even more.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #5 
Emmalea

I think the Canucks really have a chance at the cup this year.....
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #6 
Abby

not even gunna comment
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
hey guys
the female was actually showing the S pattern. she was frantically trying to get out and follow the male. so i guess thats good enough sign she was ready. tried releasing her last night. i was gonna wait til tonight to do it, but i figured the male has almost half the 10 gallon tank covered with his bubblenest and she was responding to him well. so i left her out and all that was done was fin tearing. i know its normal, but i was expecting more flirting than chasing. so im keeping her in there until tonight so they will wait even more until they are together, which should make them want each other even more.
This is why people get mad. You say you will be patient, but there you go and be totally inpatient. You can't just "guess" it is a good sign, you need to know it is. She could end up dead. I really think you should take a step back and focus on keeping PETS right now. Not making babies. You didn't even wait that long.

Just my thoughts.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Anybody want any chocolate?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #9 
tracyalexa

I just spent 20 mins on that HUGE thread. 20 mins that I will never get back.

This guy isn't real right? This is a thread to teach us what NOT to do right?? Please, someone tell me this is some kind of joke.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #10 
bettafish15

I want some chocolate! We only have chips and popcorn ;-;
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote