Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 
masshiimarro

hmm.. gill problem?

Hi, I just recently joined this forum soo......
I just got crowntail betta at petsmart yesterday (the one in my avatar), and i noticed that he's been having slightly protruded gills. i dont mean that they are sticking awkwardly out, but they arent laying as close to his body as they should, and he seems to be having heavy breathing at times. His gills arent discolored, they're black with an orange streak on both sides which appears when he flares. i suspect that's his normal color though. He isnt having trouble getting around at all, and he isn't clamped up at all. Right now he's temporarily in a 1.75 gal with 75 deg temp and he is eating and likes exploring..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....it may be a deformity/birth defect or it could be related to scar tissue from an injury or ammonia burn....not a lot can be done except provide quality water......as long as he is otherwise acting and eating normally.....I wouldn't worry about it, keep his water clean and provide good nutrition......look forward to seeing pics......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #3 
masshiimarro

ah okay thanks! this morning when i woke up he made what seems to be the beginnings of a bubblenest, haha
ive read somewhere that aquarium salt would help his gills, so should i use some?
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gill