Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #1 
lilxsteffie

Exclamation What's wrong with Sheila??? =(

I don't know how many of you read my first post ("did i do something wrong")...but we've had our female betta, Sheila, for about 2 weeks now and she still hasn't eaten anything. She doesn't even show the slightest interest in food.

When we first brought her home she was pretty lethargic & spent A LOT of time at the bottom of the tank. After moving her into the 10 gallon tank w/Ravi (it's split in half by a divider), she perked up after a few days & began swimming around more. I thought this meant she was improving. A few of you responded saying that I shouldn't worry if she ate or not right away but it's been 2 weeks now & I am worried. It seems like something is wrong with her as well, she's back to being lethargic again & I believe her fins are clamped to her sides. She sits at the bottom of the tank, only swims up to the surface to breathe, doesn't eat or show interest in food & she spends the majority of the day hiding in her skull decoration. She doesn't seem to have any physical ailments (that I have noticed, I'll post pics so I can gather other opinions). She can control her swimming perfectly fine, doesn't float awkwardly to one side or the other so I doubt it's swim bladder disorder. I don't know what's wrong with her & I really want to prevent her from dying if possible!

Recent pictures taken last night:

Housing

What size is your tank? home tank is 10 gal with a divider so she and Ravi could share the tank...she's been in a 1 gal quarantine bowl since yesterday.
What temperature is your tank? both tank/bowl have a heater set to 80F
Does your tank have a filter? home tank has a tetra whisper filter meant for 2-10 gal tanks, bowl undergoes 100% water changes daily
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? neither tank or bowl have any kind of aeration apparatus
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? just our male ct Ravi, but they were separated by a divider. (He's healthy and doing perfectly fine, no signs or symptoms of any sort.)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? top fin brand betta bits...though she hasn't eaten anything since we've gotten her.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet in the morning before i go to school (7am ish), 2 after school and before work (3pm ish), and 1 after i get home from work (10pm ish. this has been the routine for 2 weeks now with a fasting day on sundays.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly in the home tank, daily in the quarantine bowl.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% in the tank, 100% in the bowl
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none other than nutrafin aqua plus water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0-.15ppm
Nitrite: 0-.15ppm
Nitrate: 0-.15ppm
pH: 7.2-7.4
Hardness: ???
Alkalinity: ???

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? her colors have become less vibrant.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? she sits at the bottom of the tank unless coming up for air, hides more/swims & explores less, very sluggish/lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? she's always been kinda sluggish and timid, thought it might just be her personality but it's been 4 days since i've started to really watch her and worry.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? put her in a quarantine bowl last night, currently treating with betta revive by hikari & aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? probably, i assumed she would have some kind of minor illness since my bf bought her from the local petco.
How old is your fish (approximately)? i have no idea...she's about an inch long though.
lilxsteffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

On her gill, by her eye, is that a cut? A slash? And are her gills red? They seem almost too red, like theyre inflamed. A pinky-red hue is healthy, but those seem a bit too much so.

This is odd..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #3 
lilxsteffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
On her gill, by her eye, is that a cut? A slash? And are her gills red? They seem almost too red, like theyre inflamed. A pinky-red hue is healthy, but those seem a bit too much so.

This is odd..
I'm pretty sure it's not a cut, she had red spots on top of her head and those lines when we got her so I assumed it was just part of her coloration/markings. But now that I think of it...they weren't that bright of a red before. As for her gills they were a red shade when we got her as well.

I'm still a newbie, I've done plenty of reading/research, but have no clue as to what could be making her sick =(
Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Lines like that wouldnt be, no...I cant really say, either. To be honest, some fish are just sickly. She may be one of them.

She could very well perk up from the QT with the water changes. Take care to acclimate her well and give her enough time/appropriate amount of new water supplementation to keep her less stressed out. If you have it, add in 1tsp/gallon of aq. If you add it, watch to see if she starts darting around or scratching..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #5 
lilxsteffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
She could very well perk up from the QT with the water changes. Take care to acclimate her well and give her enough time/appropriate amount of new water supplementation to keep her less stressed out. If you have it, add in 1tsp/gallon of aq. If you add it, watch to see if she starts darting around or scratching..
I really hope she gets better! I do take the time to acclimate her every time I do a water change, I really don't want to stress her out or do anything that will make her worse. Oh and what is Aq? I'm willing to try just about anything to get her better