Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #1 
ndjs

Water flow and betta

I have my betta in a 2 gallon vase type thing right now, but I am thinking of moving him to a 15 gallon aquarium. It has an undergravel "filter" which sucks, but it also has a HOB filter.

Will the constant water disturbance bother him? I don't want to tire him out or stress him. Thanks for input.
ndjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #2 
leifthebunny

I have (currently only) two 12g with bettas in them and I notice they both tend to rest in the slower waters. In the recent addition tank, the betta likes to actually "rest" on the filter input. Once he feels better, he just leaves, but it's kind of freaky to watch him use the input to hold his fins while he catches his breath. They both do avoid the output of the filter flow. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the whole tank is turbulent.
leifthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:16 AM   #3 
ndjs

It isn't. I dug a little more and found several posts which answered my question, I must have missed them in the first pass through...

I think I will use some fake plants I have to sort of slow the water from the HOB filter and I'll either bury the flow from the undergravel filter or just take the stupid thing out and throw it in the trash, haha.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #4 
mHeinitz57

if you have an undergravel filter and you decide not to use it, make sure you take the plastic plate out. If it is in there and there is no water current though it then you have an excellent place for anaerobic bacteria to grow in the stagnant, low-oxygen water. Anaerobic bacteria produce nitrogen gas which could easily get trapped under the plastic plate and poison the tank.
mHeinitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #5 
ndjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mHeinitz57
if you have an undergravel filter and you decide not to use it, make sure you take the plastic plate out. If it is in there and there is no water current though it then you have an excellent place for anaerobic bacteria to grow in the stagnant, low-oxygen water. Anaerobic bacteria produce nitrogen gas which could easily get trapped under the plastic plate and poison the tank.
Thanks for the heads up. I checked the warranty and it was still under it, so I returned it and got a new one. :)