Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #1 
etanico

Sponge Baffle?

I read the Step-By-Step water bottle baffle thread, but the current still seems to be pushing my Betta to the bottom of the tank.

I can't find any online resources for how to make a sponge baffle. Can anyone help me out here, and tell me how?

I have an external filter.
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by etanico View Post
I read the Step-By-Step water bottle baffle thread, but the current still seems to be pushing my Betta to the bottom of the tank.

I can't find any online resources for how to make a sponge baffle. Can anyone help me out here, and tell me how?

I have an external filter.
Use an aquarium sponge/foam - AquaClear and Imagine are two brand names. Rubber band it to the filter where the water comes back into the tank.

Adjustable - pull the sponge/foam up for more flow or down for less flow - no sharp edges and another place for the good bacteria to grow.

I am attaching a picture of one of my betta tanks to show you what I mean. When the hood is closed, you don't really see the sponge.
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #3 
TonyK

The sponge baffle is easy. Go to a petstore and pick up a piece of foam they sell for filters. Take that foam and fit it in the out take of your filter (where the water pours into your tank) and use a rubber band to hold it in place. If you need a pic I can take one and you can have a visual.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
The sponge baffle is easy. Go to a petstore and pick up a piece of foam they sell for filters. Take that foam and fit it in the out take of your filter (where the water pours into your tank) and use a rubber band to hold it in place. If you need a pic I can take one and you can have a visual.
Beat ya to it!

Boy, I sure WiSH they would sticky the sponge filter thingy!!!!! It gets asked about multiple times every WEEK it seems!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 
etanico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Use an aquarium sponge/foam - AquaClear and Imagine are two brand names. Rubber band it to the filter where the water comes back into the tank.

Adjustable - pull the sponge/foam up for more flow or down for less flow - no sharp edges and another place for the good bacteria to grow.

I am attaching a picture of one of my betta tanks to show you what I mean. When the hood is closed, you don't really see the sponge.
Thank you so much! I have the exact same tank so you were extra helpful!! Thanks!
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #6 
TonyK

As I was typing you posted it. But, as long as it helps someone thats all that it matters. I prefer this method over the bottle method. I have heard that Bettas can get trapped inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post

Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #7 
Kisa

I'm glad this was asked recently. I just upgraded my baby's home from a one gallon to three after reading this forum's info. He seems a lot happier now. I couldn't use the filter that came with the marineland crescent 3 so bought a mini filter, but it was still too strong. The bottle doesn't work too well and I removed it after seeing Omicron swim into it chasing food. Will be getting the sponge.

(Posted from my mobile device - please forgive any typos)
Kisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #8 
jackals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post

Could you please post a pic?

I have a question.. my tank doesn't have a hood.. its the Tetra Crescent 5 gallon.. so where would the sponge get put to on this type setup? (It comes today BTW!)

jackals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

On my one tank I had to do both baffles..The filter is just that strong..I think it could power a boat maybe... I use the sponge baffle and then I did the water bottle baffle over that. still makes a little current but not as bad..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #10 
TonyK

If you look at Lion Mom's post above mine she put up a pic. That is the same exact setup I'm running. By looking at the pic you posted I really can't tell how the filter is mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackals View Post
Could you please post a pic?

I have a question.. my tank doesn't have a hood.. its the Tetra Crescent 5 gallon.. so where would the sponge get put to on this type setup? (It comes today BTW!)