Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
Blaze54

Smile Snail and betta. Good combination?

I would love to get a Trumpet snail. But I've heard that snails release a lot of waste which can effect your betta. But they are soo cool. And if not a Trumpet Snail then what other types of snails can go with them? Oh and he is in a bowl (a large one too) and I've also heard that snails will crawl out of anything without a top. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thx
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze54 View Post
I would love to get a Trumpet snail. But I've heard that snails release a lot of waste which can effect your betta. But they are soo cool. And if not a Trumpet Snail then what other types of snails can go with them? Oh and he is in a bowl (a large one too) and I've also heard that snails will crawl out of anything without a top. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thx
I had my apple snail in an open top for 2 months..(tanks has a hood now) but he never tried to climb out...However I have heard they do and will. i'm sure this is the same with all snails probably..I have never had a trumpet snail though!

Snails do like to poo a lot..As long as you keep up with substrate vacuuming and water changes you should be ok.

..btw..I have a fish named blaze too!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #3 
turtle10

What size is the tank?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #4 
Blaze54

About 2 gallons. And a snail or 1-2 ghost shrimp is about all I can put with him. Thats why I said trumpet snail,they don't get big. I've heard that apple snails get too big for smaller tanks/bowls. I'm really considering ghost shrimp,that's kinda the common denominator between all tank-mate possibilities I have seen. I just want something small to help keep the tank clean and I've heard ghost shrimp are great at that.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #5 
turtle10

I wouldn't put a snail in something that small unless you are willing to increase the water changes. Snails poop A LOT, like a ridiculous amount. Also, ghost shrimp are very active so I wouldn't put them in something that small either. I suggest a few cherry shrimp.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #6 
laughing

Snails mostly leave due to bad water conditions or lack of food. But they WILL climb out if they want.

And 2 gallons is pretty small for a snail and a fish, especially with the growing snail. They really do poop a lot, too... Maybe you should get a bowl just for a trumpet snail? You could get a little one gallon and put a couple live plants and substrate in there and keep him wherever! :D
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #7 
Nyjas16

I have a golden mystery snail and they do poop constantly! My betta just watched the snail crawl around for a few days and now the only time he pays attention to him is when he is stealing his algae disks! Little pig! I have a cover on mine but have never seen the snail come above the water line. The thing about snails is that they need calcium to grow a healthy shell, if you have a little filter, you can put crushed egg shells in the cartridge and help out with that. Or you can buy calcium drops.

Last edited by Nyjas16; 04-17-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Nyjas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #8 
turtle10

Make sure you bake the egg shells first, though.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Trumpet snails (aka Malaysian trumpet snails) breed like rabbits too, they give birth to live young so you can't just remove the egg sack (they are hermaphrodites and do not need a partner to reproduce). They are nice in planted set ups because they turn the soil, fertilize it, don't eat live plants and help keep the gravel clean. Their population will explode if overfed. A 2 gallon with no predatory fish will get you an army in no time.

If it is heated then cherry shrimp would a nice and colorful addition :)
-DM17
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote