Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #3061 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Jealous...

Haha...Your tanks are very nice. I love the baby tears.
Thank you. The 1 gallon has been up for almost a year. It just got live plants a few months ago though. And the 2.5 gallon was a nano project that I was doing. It was going to have some shrimp, but I did not like the other tank the female Betta was in, so I put her in there. The 2.5 has been running for about 5 months now. I am waiting for the Baby Tears to really cover the bottom. They are pretty easy to grow. I don't think I will ever use fake plants again.
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #3062 
PewPewPew

Very, very nice. What a handsome set up, it looks great. More pics as the tears fill in, I hope? ;)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #3063 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Very, very nice. What a handsome set up, it looks great. More pics as the tears fill in, I hope? ;)
Thank you. And for sure. I will update when they fill in more. I am hoping the Crypto Parva will get a little fuller too, but I don't think that will happen.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #3064 
mandleighb

Red face

Hello! Sort of a newbie here. I've had one betta for about three and a half years... I got him for Christmas when I was 15, and sadly I came home to find him dead the other day. I immediately cleaned the tank and got it ready for a new betta (my room felt way too empty without one), and got a crown tail the next day (Mr. Fishy). The day after that, I acquired a 1.5 gallon hexagonal tank and a ten gallon tank. Needless to say, the past few days have been very fish filled for me :)

Mr. Fishy is currently in a 2.5 gallon

Burrito is currently in a 1.5 gallon

And just for fun: 2 black mollies (Bean), 2 white mollies (Slim Shady), 2 blue tetras (Violet), and an African Dwarf Frog (Herbert) in the 10 gallon

So, being a beginner, I have a couple of questions (Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask-- I just figured this would be best, since a lot of people seem to go here!)
1.) Mr. Fishy seems to lay on the big jewels I have at the bottom a lot. He's pretty active, so I don't think he's ill or anything- but I wanted to get other people's input. Should I be worried? I have a heater in the tank and it's at about 75 degrees. I got him three days ago.

2.) Burrito (VT), does the opposite- he's always at the top of the tank and hardly ever moves! I just got him yesterday so I'm not too concerned- I figure he's just adjusting.

3.) Does anyone think I'd be able to put Burrito in my ten gallon? The poor guy just seems a little cramped in the 1.5 gallon- he's pretty big even though I just got him. Let me know what you think :)

Thanks for your input, everyone! I only just joined today and I'm already addicted to this site! What a wonderful place for us to all share our love/obsession with Bettas :)
mandleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #3065 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandleighb View Post
Hello! Sort of a newbie here. I've had one betta for about three and a half years... I got him for Christmas when I was 15, and sadly I came home to find him dead the other day. I immediately cleaned the tank and got it ready for a new betta (my room felt way too empty without one), and got a crown tail the next day (Mr. Fishy). The day after that, I acquired a 1.5 gallon hexagonal tank and a ten gallon tank. Needless to say, the past few days have been very fish filled for me :)

Mr. Fishy is currently in a 2.5 gallon

Burrito is currently in a 1.5 gallon

And just for fun: 2 black mollies (Bean), 2 white mollies (Slim Shady), 2 blue tetras (Violet), and an African Dwarf Frog (Herbert) in the 10 gallon

So, being a beginner, I have a couple of questions (Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask-- I just figured this would be best, since a lot of people seem to go here!)
1.) Mr. Fishy seems to lay on the big jewels I have at the bottom a lot. He's pretty active, so I don't think he's ill or anything- but I wanted to get other people's input. Should I be worried? I have a heater in the tank and it's at about 75 degrees. I got him three days ago.

2.) Burrito (VT), does the opposite- he's always at the top of the tank and hardly ever moves! I just got him yesterday so I'm not too concerned- I figure he's just adjusting.

3.) Does anyone think I'd be able to put Burrito in my ten gallon? The poor guy just seems a little cramped in the 1.5 gallon- he's pretty big even though I just got him. Let me know what you think :)

Thanks for your input, everyone! I only just joined today and I'm already addicted to this site! What a wonderful place for us to all share our love/obsession with Bettas :)
aww, sorry about your other fish, but wow, you sure bounced back fast! lol and with gusto!

as for your questions:

1) I think he is still adjusting, as long as he is eating and looks healthy he should be fine. But i would try and get the tank a little warmer. 78-80 is ideal.

2) Yeah, he is adjusting. I just got a new boy and he does the same thing. heh.

3) I think he would love the ten gallon, but if you put him in there do not add any other fish, as you will be at your limit as far as bio load. 1.5 gallons is really too small imho, i have all four of my boys in a divided ten gallon, so that they each have about 2.5 gallons, and that is the least ammount i would ever give them. I am actually thinking about getting a second tank and giving each boy five gallons. lol!

Welocme to the forums!!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #3066 
mandleighb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
aww, sorry about your other fish, but wow, you sure bounced back fast! lol and with gusto!

as for your questions:

1) I think he is still adjusting, as long as he is eating and looks healthy he should be fine. But i would try and get the tank a little warmer. 78-80 is ideal.

2) Yeah, he is adjusting. I just got a new boy and he does the same thing. heh.

3) I think he would love the ten gallon, but if you put him in there do not add any other fish, as you will be at your limit as far as bio load. 1.5 gallons is really too small imho, i have all four of my boys in a divided ten gallon, so that they each have about 2.5 gallons, and that is the least ammount i would ever give them. I am actually thinking about getting a second tank and giving each boy five gallons. lol!

Welocme to the forums!!
Thank you so much for your help! I'm trying to get the tanks warmer - I just bought the heaters today so I think they're probably still doing their trick! My ten gallon is at about 76 right now.

How should I go about putting Burrito in the ten gallon with the others? I don't want there to be any fighting ... :)
mandleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #3067 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandleighb View Post
Thank you so much for your help! I'm trying to get the tanks warmer - I just bought the heaters today so I think they're probably still doing their trick! My ten gallon is at about 76 right now.

How should I go about putting Burrito in the ten gallon with the others? I don't want there to be any fighting ... :)

Well thats great! :3 Glad you got heaters and whatnot.

Mollies are fairly peaceful from what i have noticed, and will stick to themselves, you may have to keep an eye on the tetras as i have heard they can be a bit nippy to fins, and the frog wont bother anything. I have an ADF as well, and she doesnt bother my betta at all.

As for introducing him to the tank, i would acclimate him as if you had just gotten him home from the store. Float him for about twenty minutes, and then gradually over an hour pour out some of his water into another cup and add the water from the ten gallon until it is all the new tank water, then he should be safe to be released into the big tank.

I would get some more plants, preferably silk, or even live, because bettas like to sleep on the leaves of plants. But other than that, you are set to go!! :3
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #3068 
cableguy69846

mandleighb -
+1 on the plants. They need a place to hide. Some driftwood or rocks would also do them good. If you are going to put both bettas in the tank, they need plenty of places to hide. You can even use very small planters placed on their side half buried on the gravel to act as caves. As far as them not moving around so much, I would get a heater where you can adjust the heat. Bettas like warmer water. I usually keep mine between 78 and 84 the higher end is during the day and they love it. Also with warmer water comes a lower risk of disease. The mollies would do better in brackish water. They like a little bit of salt in their lives. And live plants would be the way to go. Since I planted my 1 gallon, my betta is very active and always has a nest. He will also hide in the plants and hunt. What are you feeding them? Mine get flake food and frozen/thawed bloodworms on alternating days. You may want to try that. Good luck, and if you need more help, just ask.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #3069 
ollief9

I wouldn't put Burrito in the 10 gallon. The Tetras would nip him, especially as their in a small group. IMHO the Mollies need a 20 gallon tank, because they're surprisingly active and can grow pretty big.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #3070 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
I wouldn't put Burrito in the 10 gallon. The Tetras would nip him, especially as their in a small group. IMHO the Mollies need a 20 gallon tank, because they're surprisingly active and can grow pretty big.
+1 on the mollies. I think they get about 5" or 6". Not to mention they will breed pretty easily and then you will have fry to contend with as well.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank