Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #1 
cmjdm

First Time Tank setup and n00b Questions XD - Please Help

Hey everyone, I am new here and have just set up my first betta tank I can actually be somewhat proud of(pictures below). I have started doing a lot of research lately and had a few questions I wanted to ask.

To start I have a CrownTail Betta and his name is Marshall.

Here is my first time actual setup(not some little cheap plastic tank), it is a 2.5 Gallon. It has a glass lid also. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about it, anything that I could add, change, remove etc...

I am going to be buying a heater soon but I am not sure what type to get and there is not a day that does not go by where I feel bad for the poor guy. I also plan on buying two snails to keep the tank clean and free of algae, good idea or bad idea? Any other ideas on good fish to add I don't want him to be to lonely.

I have heard alot about TopFin and how bad the company is. How the food is poor in nutrition, the tanks are weak(mine is a TopFin, I couldn't find a 2.5 from Hagen). As well I have heard that the decorations fade quickly and need quick replacing). I am really leaning towards that being the true side despite how often I buy their products, any confirmations, horror stories or proof?

I plan on not adding a filter but am very scared not do due the amount of water, that is where my snails come into play but I know they wont be enough. Would changing about two cups full of water (5%ish) a day help in keeping the water clean do the job for the filter. I would take two cups of tap water each day and add enough bowl conditioner, leave it for 24hours and repeat each day).

Also what is cultured gravel and how much better is it than TopFin's Premium Quality Aquarium Gravel. Or Natural Gravel. Also how important is a gravel vacuum going to be for this type of set up.

Would a Bine Shrimp Net be a better idea for Marshall as it looks a lot softer and possibly hurt his fins less, how bad is a normal fish net going to be for he little guy.

One last thing, thank you so much. I know I asked a lot but this is the best place on the internet to start asking.
Attached Images

Last edited by cmjdm; 04-17-2011 at 07:09 PM.
cmjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

It looks nice.I would get a few plants. Silk plants or live plants will work. I like my aqueon adjustable heater..as well as my marineland stealth pro.

On an unfiltered 2.5 gallon I would do 2 water changes..1 50% and then a 100%water change.

Snails actually poop more than they clean..They are really cute and fun to watch though.

When I do water changes I usually use the plastic cup my fish came in and scoop him up in that. Nets can be very stressful to some fish.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #3 
TonyK

If your plan is not adding a filter you might not want to add those snails. I would do just the Bettas. Everything else sounds good.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

Hagen Mini Submersible Heater 25 Watt
I love this heater. Own three, each of my boys has one, only 15$ with shipping online. Keeps them at a nice and toasty 80-86.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsuddenimpact View Post
Hagen Mini Submersible Heater 25 Watt
I love this heater. Own three, each of my boys has one, only 15$ with shipping online. Keeps them at a nice and toasty 80-86.
How long do the hagen mini heaters last?
I went into petco today...30 minutes till closing and all they had were aqueon 200 and 300watts...I was like whoa whoa that's a little extreme for a critter carrier..

the only 25 watt they had was a fluval and they wanted 32.99...
Needless to say...I walked out bummed and slowly..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #6 
cmjdm

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I am going to go for something along the lines of 10-20% water change every two days with a 50-70% change once a week. Thus being a constant supply of newer water. I may just try the 50% than 100% each week also. Just this tank is seeming to get dirty fast and leaving it for 3-4 days doesn't fit well with me.

I might just get a filter too now.

I also will take those suggestions on the heaters.

And I like the plant idea. Not sure if I should go real or silk though.

I also like the cup idea instead of using a net at all, maybe i wont get much use out of the net but o well.

And good tips on the snails I really thought they would help with the dirt not cause more.

@bamsuddenimpact Could I also please get a link to where ever you purchased that Hagen Mini Heater or a picture of the product as most I see only heat to around 78. not 80-86.

Again thanks so much.

Last edited by cmjdm; 04-18-2011 at 11:01 PM.
cmjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #7 
luluo

With regards to glass lids, when I was researching tanks I read that you need to make sure to leave enough of a gap between the water surface and the lid for him to be able to come up for air.

As for plants, I prefer live. Much cheaper than silk. I just had to buy some artificial plants for a non-betta tank that I just happened into. I was shocked at how expensive they are.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #8 
Tisia

hagen heater, I'm waiting for mine to show up in the mail right now, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #9 
darkangel216

If you decide to get live plants, some good ones to start with would be java fern, java moss and any type of anubias. They are low light plants that are relatively easy to care for.
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote