Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #3081 
PonyJumper101

lol no like the other one . the actual form posts where you can show people your fish .
PonyJumper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #3082 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
This is my female. My fiancee just named her Bloody Mary. She has a 2.5 gallon tank with a Hagen Elite Mini filter. There are Java Fern, Dwarf Baby Tears, Crypto Parva, and some Blyxa. The tank gets dosed every other day with Excel and once a week with Flourish. The light is a 10 watt mini CFL full spectrum light.
Cableguy, where did you get the light? Is it made specifically for plants? I'm asking because I had baby tears growing on some driftwood of mine, but I don't have plant lights and I let it all die. But it was so pretty! I would like to have it again, (MINUS all the SNAILS it brought into my tanks)... You said it is not hard to grow? The petstore told me it is difficult to keep it alive.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #3083 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyJumper101 View Post
lol no like the other one . the actual form posts where you can show people your fish .
Oh haha... I uploaded my pics to photobucket. (You have to have an account) and then they have an option to copy an "image" link and I just copy & paste that into the text box and voila! Photo! Hope that helps.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #3084 
Lion Mom

I normally prefer a natural looking tank, but that beach scene is just the CUTEST!!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #3085 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsfishie View Post
Cableguy, where did you get the light? Is it made specifically for plants? I'm asking because I had baby tears growing on some driftwood of mine, but I don't have plant lights and I let it all die. But it was so pretty! I would like to have it again, (MINUS all the SNAILS it brought into my tanks)... You said it is not hard to grow? The petstore told me it is difficult to keep it alive.
I have a 10 watt mini CFL light that I got at Wal-Mart in the pet section. It is the screw in type and I have it in an incandescent hood. When it comes to baby tears, you need to put it in the substrate in clumps. It wont grow on the wood. I dose the tank with Flourish Excel every other day and Flourish once a week. The Excel is artificial carbon for the plants. It is like CO2 for them. I have had mine growing for a few months now. The thing about this plant is that it likes high light and lots of nutrients. If you do it like that, it should take off for you. If you have any more questions, let me know.
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #3086 
Kaylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
that's a lovely looking set up Kaylin, I'm just curious what plant is that up front in the middle?

So sorry for not answering this earlier Silverfang!
The plants in the middle front directly in front of the driftwood are silk versions of Anubias Nana. The Plant middle back on the driftwood is Anubias, though I'm not sure which variety.

~Kaylin
Kaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #3087 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I normally prefer a natural looking tank, but that beach scene is just the CUTEST!!!! :)
Thank you!!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #3088 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
I have a 10 watt mini CFL light that I got at Wal-Mart in the pet section. It is the screw in type and I have it in an incandescent hood. When it comes to baby tears, you need to put it in the substrate in clumps. It wont grow on the wood. I dose the tank with Flourish Excel every other day and Flourish once a week. The Excel is artificial carbon for the plants. It is like CO2 for them. I have had mine growing for a few months now. The thing about this plant is that it likes high light and lots of nutrients. If you do it like that, it should take off for you. If you have any more questions, let me know.
OK, thanks. I think I have one of those bulbs in my 5 gallon. I wasn't sure what CFL was but I guess FL stands for flourecent? Hmm... I guess mine died because it was not getting plant nutrients. It was very pretty. Here's a few pics.

Last edited by smellsfishie; 04-20-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #3089 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsfishie View Post
OK, thanks. I think I have one of those bulbs in my 5 gallon. I wasn't sure what CFL was but I guess FL stands for flourecent? Hmm... I guess mine died because it was not getting plant nutrients. It was very pretty. Here's a few pics.
CFL = Compact Fluorescent. It is one of those bent up fluorescent bulbs. They give off more bang for the size. I am surprised you got it to grow on the wood like that. I may have to try that out. If you go that route again, I would suggest some ferts maybe some CO2 and good lighting. The normal practice is 3 to 4 watts per gallon. And I would also suggest getting some second opinions as well. I am no plant expert, and I am sure there are more knowledgeable hobbyists out there who may be able to help you more. Just trying to help out where I can. Happy fish keeping.

P.S. Would you be able to give me some specs on that tank? I am curious about what conditions you had that in. I really like the look of it on that driftwood.

Last edited by cableguy69846; 04-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #3090 
Aluyasha

Here is an updated picture of Abacus and Cannibal Johnson's tank:
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank