Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #1 
Kaylin

Film on water surface?

Has anyone had this sort of thing where it looks like there's a film on the surface of the water? Is this something I need to be concerned about?

As a bit of Backstory...

I did a small water change (20%) just to keep the Nitrate levels down for my Betta this afternoon. After an 8 hour shift at work, I come home to notice this film on the surface of the water.

So, I change the water partially again (20% or so), remove the sponge baffle to break the surface of the water, as well as the filter intake guard to increase the flow and filtration for the time being.

Water Conditioner I use: Prime for Betta. (I may actually go back to using Prime).
Tank Size: 10 Gallons
Cycled: Yes.
Plants: Amazon Sword x3 (Used SeaChem Flourish tabs to plant them into the gravel substrate), Anubias, Java Moss

My Betta has been flaring at pretty much everything today, including me, so I'm not sure if this is an indication of issues with him or not. No stripes yet, and I only feed him two pellets at a time so I know he'll eat them, so I'm not worried about the food fouling the tank.

I do have a case of Pond Snails though, which I have two Assassin Snails pulling OT to try and get rid of.

Any thoughts?

~Kaylin
Kaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #2 
JackisLost

It's just bacteria or dirt or something, no problem. Just means there's no surface agitation.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #3 
Kaylin

I figured as much. Thank you for the confirmation.
I think I'll leave the baffle off and the filter intake guard off over-night and see if that helps.

~Kaylin
Old 04-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #4 
roypattonphoto

yah since i baffled my filters, and the surface waters isnt moving like it used to , i notice a slight film build... but i think that is due to the surface being so calm... make sense?

ever see a pond or lake that has no movement, and then something breaks the surface and u can some what of the outline where it broke through, its the same principle...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #5 
Kaylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roypattonphoto View Post
yah since i baffled my filters, and the surface waters isnt moving like it used to , i notice a slight film build... but i think that is due to the surface being so calm... make sense?

ever see a pond or lake that has no movement, and then something breaks the surface and u can some what of the outline where it broke through, its the same principle...
Yeah, makes sense. The water surface looks much better this morning, and despite my worries, my Betta didn't get it fins stuck in the exposed intake tube for the filter.
Thanks so much for posting.

~Kaylin
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

Yeah I always have that on my tanks with baffled filters. I figured it was just bacteria, and I don't worry about it too much.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote