Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #11 
artes

In my personal experience:

I kept 2 betta females in a 5 gallon tank. They were both originally living on their own in smaller tanks, and BOTH their filters died on the same day, so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't know they needed plants, so they had a couple small caves and a couple of short plants. They got along incredibly well - they became best friends. Then one got sick, and never recovered and died. The other one died not a couple days later - she was healthy, but I guess she was lonely without her new best friend.

So, my experience, 3-5 females would do fine in a 5 gallon. My two were best buddies - no reason why they wouldn't make friends, imo.
artes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #12 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by artes View Post
In my personal experience:

I kept 2 betta females in a 5 gallon tank. They were both originally living on their own in smaller tanks, and BOTH their filters died on the same day, so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't know they needed plants, so they had a couple small caves and a couple of short plants. They got along incredibly well - they became best friends. Then one got sick, and never recovered and died. The other one died not a couple days later - she was healthy, but I guess she was lonely without her new best friend.

So, my experience, 3-5 females would do fine in a 5 gallon. My two were best buddies - no reason why they wouldn't make friends, imo.
It is generally not recommended to keep less than five in a ten gallon minimum unless you are an experienced fish keeper. That is why PewPewPew posted, to get some advice and input. Multiple females in a five gallon is generally not recommended because of the space they need and aggression, and less than five females in general is not recommended because with so few females there are less bettas available to spread the aggression. Anyone will tell you that two females in a five gallon is a bad idea, BUT it can be done and should only be done by experienced fish keepers.

They may have gotten along, but sororities (females together) can break down after years, aggression can just show up out of nowhere. You may have gotten some aggression issues further down the line if you had them longer. The second betta probably died from what the first betta had.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #13 
artes

I didn't know that at the time - I just knew female bettas could go together. I was only relating personal experience, and not necessarily saying that was the way to go always. The second betta never looked or acted sick, and I separated them as soon as the other girl showed symptoms. I don't remember how long they lived together now, but it wasn't years.
artes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #14 
laughing

So how many do you recommend in a 10 gallon? I wanted to set up my sorority in a 20 gallon but I'm not able to get one and I find it unfair to my girl staying in a 1 gallon bowl for months until I can get a 20.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Usually 5 girls wind up in a 10. Try 9-11? Hahah!

And why not put her in the ten? Shes fine by herself.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #16 
laughing

Because I really would love a community tank project. And I can't house males right now so it'd make me happy(:

It kind of depends, though. I mean if they're all super aggressive I'll call the whole project off but I'd love to give it a shot. The kind of set-up I want to decorate it is perfect for them.

Hmm... I'm wondering if I do just get a 10 gallon if I should just get some males for it. I could easily keep her in a 3 gallon by herself. *ponders* The only down side to this is it destroys my aquascaping plans D:
Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #17 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
So how many do you recommend in a 10 gallon? I wanted to set up my sorority in a 20 gallon but I'm not able to get one and I find it unfair to my girl staying in a 1 gallon bowl for months until I can get a 20.
I'd wait till you get the 20 gallon. 1 gallon is usually fine, however, my fish in 1 gallons are always housed next to other fish so they can interact.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #18 
turtle10

Definitely wait for the 20. Ten gallon is the minimum for sororities, so it is always safest to go bigger, especially if it is your first sorority.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #19 
laughing

Hmm... I'm driving Chard crazy flip-flopping with the bettas I want!! LOL.

I'll wait. I'll split the 10 gallon for the males and put her into a 3 gallon kritter keeper or something with a small sponge filter. She'll like that(:

I'd rather wait and get it all right than get them and have a big fiassco!