Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #1 
laughing

Really weird water?

The water in my female's bowl will be crystal clear, then the next day it will have a thick film on top, white stuff all on the side of the bowl, and it'll reak. Please note I change her water EVERY SINGLE DAY and do a 100% water change every other day. Literally it seems within 12 hours the bowl is disgusting in this gross white stuff and a film covering the bowl.

In my other tanks this has never occured, so I'm wondering can this be something wrong with her, maybe bacteria, that's producing this?

Thanks guys!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #2 
roypattonphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
The water in my female's bowl will be crystal clear, then the next day it will have a thick film on top, white stuff all on the side of the bowl, and it'll reak. Please note I change her water EVERY SINGLE DAY and do a 100% water change every other day. Literally it seems within 12 hours the bowl is disgusting in this gross white stuff and a film covering the bowl.

In my other tanks this has never occured, so I'm wondering can this be something wrong with her, maybe bacteria, that's producing this?

Thanks guys!
info on the tank?

filter?
size?
heated?
treatment?

an ammonia build up could cause smell
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #3 
laughing

Ok she's in approx 1 gallon bowl (I suspect bigger, but haven't had time to find out yet) and it's not filtered or anything. This is her temporary tank as I'm setting up a larger tank for a sorority. It's not heated currently but stays at a high 85* (caught it at 88* a few times... ouch.) because it's been SUPER warm lately. I would toast her with a heater right now D:

She's not being treated for anything, she *looks* healthy except on top of her I cannot figure out if she's missing scales or if they're just lighter scales. When putting her in this last week for a day I had her with 1/4 tsp of aquarium salt to help reduce the stress (she was at a PetCo for 2 weeks!) and that's it.

The bowl is very basic. Within is some river rocks and a fake plant to give her some kind of covering. It's not lighted, she's been in dimmer light for the first few days to help her adjust and now she's on the kitchen counter getting MILD natural light and then the kitchen light. (Which lights up her tank.)
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

Wow, that's high and will definitely promote algae growth. The ideal is 76 to 82*. The higher temp will promote growth.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #5 
roypattonphoto

yah temp is too high .. bettas like 78-84*F the warmer end during breeding season, the best temp is 78-80 thats what i found for being the sweetspot...

next water change before u put her back in the water, your water should be treated to make it safe for betta's ... i suggest using the BettaSafe Fizz Tablets... i use them and theyve been working great...

1gal is kinda smal..she may just be bored...i always suggest nothing smaller then 2 gal's..

also ive read that direct sun is not good for bettas but im not to sure about that...

1gal should have a 100% water change every 2 days or 50% a day... and like i said use some form of water treatment for the bettas, straight tap and distilled is not good for them
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #6 
Harley

IMO I would do 100% changes daily for a 1g bowl, but everyone has their own opinion on this. As said I would try to control the water temperature to keep it closer to 78-80F. Have you tried placing your betta in another bowl and then cleaning the current bowl with bacteria out with something like vinegar. Then rinse it very thoroughly. Maybe the bacteria doesn't get completely cleaned out so it keeps coming back especially with the higher temperatures.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

I think we need a picture, honestly.

What treatment additive do you use?
Is your water softened, RO, well, city?
Do you rinse before rebuild with tap or treated water?
Do you wear gloves, use hand lotion, apply medications by hand?
Is the rinsing water hot or cold?

How close to the sink or stove does the bowl sit?
Is the bowl covered with a cloth cap or open?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #8 
laughing

That's the normal temp for the water, I can't really cool it down. It's just so hot here! D: Every water change I put 77* water in and acclimate her but within a couple hours it goes shooting up again... *sigh*

This is only TEMPORARY! It's her quaranteen bowl because I got her from PetCo and worried about her infecting a larger tank/bowl. I'm upgrading her to 2.5-3 gallons. Not to mention she's VERY small, this bowl is huge around her.

I completely cleaned it out and the white stuff is gone but the film is still collecting on top. I'll try to get a pic for you guys. It's just gross!

She's never in direct sun. What I meant by day light was the light coming in, not the sun rays. We don't get much sun in this apartment.

As well, it's not algae, nothing like it. It was unexplainable... But hopefully it's gone now! Just gotta figure out the film on top of it...

I use AquaSafe fizz tablets. I use pH and cholrine remover tabs. It's hard water that comes from the tap. Every time I do a water change a rub off all the white stuff on the side then re-fill. I don't just let it sit there. I put lotion on in the morning, but by time I clean out her bowl it's off of me, and I don't take medications. I always use really hot water to rinse out the bowl. The bowl sat next to the sink for a bit, but she's out on a little table now. It's covered with seran wrap with holes poked in it.

Just yesterday I dumped everything out, filled the bowl with steaming hot water, ran hot water over all the rocks and the fake plant, and scrubbed everything. I think that got rid of it. *no jinx!* But that film is still there >:[