Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #1 
baylee767

Thumbs up School is cool

At my school (k-8) one teacher teaches 8th grade, and 7th grade science/P.E (I get the strangest sense I'm his favorite student...)

I told him that he should setup a fish tank in his room, and he asked if I would be willing to do maintanence. A few minutes later, it was decided that he'd get an aqaurium. I have to bring it home summer/long vacations and do maintanence, and when I graduate the tank is mine! The school has a lot of funds so they're paying.

Not exactly sure what size it's going to be, but 5-10 gallons fits best on the place where he wants to put it. SO, it'll be probably a 10 gallon tank with maybe 3 albino cories, 5 neon tetras, and a Betta. That... or maybe setup a sorority with pygmies (This is a school full of kids with short attention spans, I can't have one type of fish or they'll ignore the tank and it's purpose to the teacher, which is to make people more peaceful and focused, won't work.)

So, in a year, I'll get a free 10 gallon setup! And in the meantime, I can keep the fish healthy and happy!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Great! Just make sure other kids dont mess with the tank, I've heard things about kids dumping stuff into tanks at schools. But thats cool you get it in a year anyway :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #3 
beta novice

lucky have fun oh try getting a hm :)
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #4 
JackisLost

I have neon tetras and harlequin rasboras, the rasboras school tighter and less likely will get sick in my experience. I had 9 neon tetra over 14 months and I'm down to 3. They died of neon tetra disease... I won't get any more
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #5 
JKfish

Personally, I don't recommend harlequins in a 10 gallon. I'll keep it simple and say that they need a lot more space than that. Having cories, neons, and a betta would be overstocking. I would go with either neons and a betta, or cories and a betta. In either set up, you could probably squeeze in a few ghost or cherry shrimp (if you are not going to be sad if they are eaten) :)

It sounds really awesome, I hope you have fun!
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 
laughing

"Bring it home"? I don't understand. So when you're on a 2 week break are you supposed to empty it completely and bring it home? That just sounds like a lot of hassle!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #7 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
"Bring it home"? I don't understand. So when you're on a 2 week break are you supposed to empty it completely and bring it home? That just sounds like a lot of hassle!
Yep, that's what it means. Except I'll just save some stuff to instant-cycle it and just drain the water and transport fish. I'm willing to do it. I'll have to do it about 3x next year.

Also, about the stocking thing, I was just going from memory of AQ advisor and was getting a rough idea about the fish ^.^ Okay, likely a Betta, 3 albino cories, and some ghosties.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote