Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 
RockTheRed52

Post First Time Betta Fish Owner

Hello All,

I got my first betta the other day when my school was having a build your own fish tank kinda thing. At first I did not really care about the fish, but I have quickly gown attached to the little guy (his name is Johnnie Walker).

Anyway right now he is living in a tiny 1/2 gallon tank. I have done some reading and have seen that a bigger tank would be better. What exactly would i need to give my betta a better more healthy environment to live in? Price is somewhat of an issue for me as being a broke college student kinda sucks, would it be possible to get everything i need for around $50?

Thanks in advance for any help
RockTheRed52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 
Burd

As long as you don't have to worry about stupid cats getting into your tanks like I do, you can pick up a $12 10 gallon tank just about anywhere. Some places might have them cheaper. Toss in some gravel for $5, a heater for $15-18, a lil cave for $5-10 and maybe some fake plants for $5 and you're good.

So...

$12 - 10 gallon tank
$5 - Gravel
$18 - Heater (Got mine from Petco $17.99)
$7 - Cave
- and / or -
$7 - Plants / Rocks / Some kind of hiding place

If you add all that up together, it's about $49.
Might be talking another $3 for betta pellet food.

:>

Edit: A thermometer would help too. Another $1.50.
Also, you could grab a kritter keeper instead of the tank. Same price or a little less, but takes up less space.
Also also, keep in mind with anything smaller than a 10 gallon, you'll be doing very frequent water changes if you want to keep the water in good condition for him.

Last edited by Burd; 04-21-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #3 
Cassandra90

Well I know some petcos are having the dollar a gallon sale. So you get get a 10 gallon for $10.

About the same as what Burd mentioned above.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

I own 3 of these Hawkeye 5 gal. tanks & LOVE them. $25.00 plus shipping. Just add some gravel, a heater, a thermometer & some decorations & you are good to go! :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

OR - you can check your local paper, Craig's List, thrift shops, Goodwill, etc. for used and cheap!!! :)

Hope that helps & welcome!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #5 
Neil D

Check goodwill. I've seen tanks there a lot. Walmart for tanks/food/heaters/thermometer. DO NOT BUY FISH FROM THERE. I hope lil' Johnny walker wil be happy
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I own 3 of these Hawkeye 5 gal. tanks & LOVE them. $25.00 plus shipping. Just add some gravel, a heater, a thermometer & some decorations & you are good to go! :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

OR - you can check your local paper, Craig's List, thrift shops, Goodwill, etc. for used and cheap!!! :)

Hope that helps & welcome!
This!
After you buy the empty 5 gallon and the filter it adds up to about the same price as this..maybe a few dollars cheaper..But you wont have a hood..This is a good deal. If you don't want to go with a filtered tank you could also get a 3 gallon critter keeper and do 1 50% and 1 100% water change weekly. I have my one betta in a 3 gallon critter keeper and he is pretty happy!

My critter keeper was about 11 dollars...heaters are about 20...sometimes you can find them cheaper online...or on sale...

That leaves you with about 20 dollars to decorate nicely and get some more food and water conditioner...You can do gravel,marbles, or sand substrate...I use coffee mugs as caves for my bettas...I found most of them at thrift stores...They love to swim through the handle. (make sure the hole for the handle is big enough for them to fit through if you decide to use a mug)

You can use live or silk plants...Just make sure that there are no sharp edges if you choose fake plants...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #7 
Harley

Love the mustache on the kitty Littlebittyfish
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 
gbose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
As long as you don't have to worry about stupid cats getting into your tanks like I do, you can pick up a $12 10 gallon tank just about anywhere. Some places might have them cheaper. Toss in some gravel for $5, a heater for $15-18, a lil cave for $5-10 and maybe some fake plants for $5 and you're good.

So...

$12 - 10 gallon tank
$5 - Gravel
$18 - Heater (Got mine from Petco $17.99)
$7 - Cave
- and / or -
$7 - Plants / Rocks / Some kind of hiding place

If you add all that up together, it's about $49.
Might be talking another $3 for betta pellet food.

:>

Edit: A thermometer would help too. Another $1.50.
Also, you could grab a kritter keeper instead of the tank. Same price or a little less, but takes up less space.
Also also, keep in mind with anything smaller than a 10 gallon, you'll be doing very frequent water changes if you want to keep the water in good condition for him.
A god plan. I suggest a filter -- maybe $10-11 for a small one. Given the budget constraint -- perhaps in place of the plants/rocks? You can probably pick up great rocks from your yard. Boil them to remove any pollutants, and you're good to go -- and it's free!!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Nope - don't boil rocks. They COULD explode!!!! :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
A god plan. I suggest a filter -- maybe $10-11 for a small one. Given the budget constraint -- perhaps in place of the plants/rocks? You can probably pick up great rocks from your yard. Boil them to remove any pollutants, and you're good to go -- and it's free!!
Actually I would say get the plants before the filter. A filter is not necessary because you can always do the water changes, but a fish will get stressed if he/she has no place to rest or hide in.

Like Lionmom said, never, ever boil rocks. They could explode and kill you.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote