Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
BettasForever

5 gallon aquarium, lots of question!

Ok, hi everybody, sorry for not being here for a couple weeks. :0
Since most of you knew (it was in my signature) that I was getting a 20g, we went to Petsmart and it was gone. :3 I was not happy about this, since I was REALLY looking forward to a gigantic tank, so we went to Walmart. We found this, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-5-Gallons-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/12177653?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001 which was the last one there, and the best size. (I don't think a 55 gallon starter *ahem* kit would fit on my dresser. :l) I got that and 5-10 pounds of black gravel like the kit suggested, and we went home. I set it up and I'm going to let the filter run for 48 hours as suggested. I rinsed the gravel, cleaned the filter cartridge, and it's up and running, right now. What else should I do before I add any fish? :3 please let me know if you have any tips... :)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #2 
Harley

Let the tank cycle first! See: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 . Its definitely an important step for the health of your fish. You'll definitely want to get a heater (25W) and a thermometer. You also want to have a water test kit. Many people (including me) recommend the API brand liquid test kits. You'll also want some decorations and fake or real plants to give places for your betta to hide out if he wants to. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #3 
BettasForever

Hahaha, got the decorations and stuff. I've owned bettas for half of my life, lolololol! I'm gonna cycle the tank. I'll get some of those trial strips before I get the liquid ones, 'cause the full kit costs more than my tank. :3
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #4 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettasForever View Post
Hahaha, got the decorations and stuff. I've owned bettas for half of my life, lolololol! I'm gonna cycle the tank. I'll get some of those trial strips before I get the liquid ones, 'cause the full kit costs more than my tank. :3
Be aware the test strips will not be as accurate as the liquid kits. The liquid kits are more expensive but they will last longer and give you better readings.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #5 
BettasForever

Yes, I was just going to add that in. Might want to save my money now! :D