Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 
DeadMemories92

White patch on betta's skin. Been there for weeks. No signs of sickness.

Okay. Some of you may or may not have read the thread about my fish tank being foggy. Might I add, I do do 25% water changes once every week-two weeks. But this spot has popped up on Wartooth's face. It has been there for about three-four weeks has has grown over time but he has shown no signs of illness. I keep forgetting to buy him some meds but I have been adding salt. At first, he had fin rot and I took him out of the tank in case he was contaminated and put him in an emergency tank. Left him there for about 7-10 days. His fins stopped shredding off (rotting) but the spot never went away. He eats normal, acts normal. Dances when I come to the front of the tank. So what is this? What kind of meds should I buy? This is really worrying me.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon currently holding ~9 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 74-76 degrees. Mostly 74 but the summer months make it fluctuate at times.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but I took it out about 3 days ago. It was dirty. Charcoal filter.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes. One running to each sector of my DIVIDED tank. I have 3 sections, three bettas. That is all.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Their brothers (3 in total).

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Varies between pellets and dried blood worms (once a week).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 25%-50% every two weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Spot on top of head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3-4 weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I added some salt, secluded him and gave him ick medication (thought I saw other TINY small dots in the beginning but this one is HUGE now!)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. This has happened once before when I first got him in January. It cleared up and went away. He had actually been in a mate tank with another fish who died back in January and it made him VERY ill. We did not expect him to make it.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~6 months old. He was an adult when I bought him.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #2 
DeadMemories92

Above LEFT Eye.

Poor quality picture. But you can see the spot MUCH better. Like I said, this has been there for WEEKS and he is acting normal.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #3 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMemories92 View Post
Okay. Some of you may or may not have read the thread about my fish tank being foggy. Might I add, I do do 25% water changes once every week-two weeks. But this spot has popped up on Wartooth's face. It has been there for about three-four weeks has has grown over time but he has shown no signs of illness. I keep forgetting to buy him some meds but I have been adding salt. At first, he had fin rot and I took him out of the tank in case he was contaminated and put him in an emergency tank. Left him there for about 7-10 days. His fins stopped shredding off (rotting) but the spot never went away. He eats normal, acts normal. Dances when I come to the front of the tank. So what is this? What kind of meds should I buy? This is really worrying me.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon currently holding ~9 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 74-76 degrees. Mostly 74 but the summer months make it fluctuate at times.
Bettas need water at least 76 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but I took it out about 3 days ago. It was dirty. Charcoal filter.
This killed any cycle you had going.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes. One running to each sector of my DIVIDED tank. I have 3 sections, three bettas. That is all.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Their brothers (3 in total).

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Varies between pellets and dried blood worms (once a week).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.
I suggest splitting the meals into two times a day, it is better for their digestive system.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 25%-50% every two weeks.
On ten gallon tank WITH filter 50% water changes weekly are the minimum. On a ten gallon with OUT filter I would do 2-3 50% a week with 100% every other week, minimum.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ^^
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, salt.
Salt should only be used to treat disease, not as a regular additive.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia: I suggest you get a liquid test kit.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Spot on top of head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3-4 weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I added some salt, secluded him and gave him ick medication (thought I saw other TINY small dots in the beginning but this one is HUGE now!)
Why did you give him ick medication?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. This has happened once before when I first got him in January. It cleared up and went away. He had actually been in a mate tank with another fish who died back in January and it made him VERY ill. We did not expect him to make it.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~6 months old. He was an adult when I bought him.

Your fish are suffering from a lack of water quality, probably ammonia burns. Your water schedule is insufficient. I suggest putting each with in quarantine and do daily 100% water changes for at least ten days, using 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon, and upping the regular water changes as well. I also highly suggest buying a heater since your water is a bit cold.

Last edited by turtle10; 04-23-2011 at 01:51 AM.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #4 
DeadMemories92

I do have a heater. And I also had that filter for months and months and just the other day, I took it out. This isn't the first time their faces have turned white like this. Even when I had the filter going this same fog came in and done it. When I first got the tank I cycled it with the fish inside and a short time after that it began getting foggy again.

I normally do feed my fish twice a day, but here recently I feed them once a day because I'm usually in a rush to school during the weekday.

I also know many people who use salt regularly. I use it when I clean their tanks or when they're sick.

I used the Ick medication because one of my bettas began showing signs of having ick. Therefore, I used it.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMemories92 View Post
I do have a heater. And I also had that filter for months and months and just the other day, I took it out. This isn't the first time their faces have turned white like this. Even when I had the filter going this same fog came in and done it. When I first got the tank I cycled it with the fish inside and a short time after that it began getting foggy again.

I normally do feed my fish twice a day, but here recently I feed them once a day because I'm usually in a rush to school during the weekday.

I also know many people who use salt regularly. I use it when I clean their tanks or when they're sick.

I used the Ick medication because one of my bettas began showing signs of having ick. Therefore, I used it.

Even with the filter you where not doing enough water changes. 50% weekly is minimum with filter.

Using salt will increase there immunity and when the fish does get sick and you need to treat it with aquarium salt it won't work as effectively.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 
DeadMemories92

I just cleaned their tank out with a syphon. I put their things in a bucket of hot water for the time being and left their gravel in the tank untouched. But I'm still curious as to what I can use for Wartooth's face. Like what kind of medication would be ideal? I've got the tank thing down path so far, I'm just very concerned about him.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #7 
turtle10

I think you should put him in quarantine (float him in main tank for heat), and do the aquarium salt treatment that I mentioned earlier, and cut out all chemical meds for now.

Can you raise the heat to stay at minimum 76-77?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #8 
DeadMemories92

Not right now due to the fact that I bought a heater that is supposed (it claims) to raise the temperature to 76 degrees and stay that way no matter what (for a 10 gallon) and well, it had false information. After I bought it I saw where other users on here had the same issue with it. The next time I will be close to a Petsmart/Walmart is May 4th because it's about 50+ miles away from where I live. But I will quarantine him from the others and just let him float or something. It's Spring here and my rents have been lame about not turning the AC on so I suppose he'll be okay either way. It gets about 75ish room temperature anyways.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #9 
turtle10

Okay just remember to do daily 100 % water changes, and if the container is smaller than one gallon, I would do twice daily 100% water changes. One teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #10 
DeadMemories92

Okay. Thanks. Will do. If it doesn't clear up within 7-14 days I'll come back and seek advice on medications.