Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #21 
baylee767

Neil: Oh yes, I know about tetras =) I think a nice little school would look awesome

And smellsfishie: That pleco looks so interesting! Maybe I do want one then (lol)

Newest stocking plans:

10 female sorority
albino BN pleco
20 cardinal tetras
trio (means 1 male and 2 females) of guppies
trio of platies
about 10 RCS (just an expiriment c=)
POSSIBLY a male betta (still not sure)

According to AQ advisor, I'm 89% stocked. Does my plan sound good right now?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #22 
smellsfishie

Just my opinion, I would skip the guppies. They are pretty but when I had guppies very briefly, I found them to be a tiny bit annoying. They were kinda mean to my other fish. Plus, like another person said earlier in the thread, sometimes bettas don't like them too much (males). Platies come in all different colors, and are generally peaceful... plus they breed like crazy so you will have babies. :) I say get 6 platies- you could get highfin platies if you want something more exotic looking than the regular finned ones. I don't know what RCS stands for?
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #23 
smellsfishie

Oh, also, danios get along well with bettas. At least in my experience. And they are very active so you will never be bored looking at your tank. They come in many varieties as well. You can get the plain looking ones, leopard, or the "glofish" which are just glorified danios which are bright neon yellow, hot pink, and neon orange.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #24 
baylee767

The glofish though have been dyed by people and unfortunatly either lose the color or die after a few months (http://www.deathbydyeing.org/) )=

Really ('bout the guppies)? Hm, maybe then I'll a "double trio" of platies (6). I mean, they look awesome (= And cute little babies

RCS stands for red cherry shrimps. I don't mind if they get eaten, but they should be fairly safe in such a hiding-place-rich tank.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #25 
smellsfishie

Yeah I wasn't 100% on the history of the glofish. I figured they were dyed, but the guy at the pet store told me they bred that way after the parents were dyed... and I never researched it. I had 2, who actually were very healthy and lived quite awhile. I would say just under a year. But you're probably right, because their non-dyed danio counterparts who I got at the same time are still alive, while they are not. They did hold their color well, though.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #26 
hedgehog

Just wanted to say that perhaps some glofish were made by dying them but most of the fish are genetically engineered to contain a gene that produces green fluorescent protein causing them to glow.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #27 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Just wanted to say that perhaps some glofish were made by dying them but most of the fish are genetically engineered to contain a gene that produces green fluorescent protein causing them to glow.
Interesting! That sounds along the lines of what the pet store told me.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #28 
Neil D

Can glofish live with a male betta? Just wondering, as my tank is full. (not overstocked though)
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #29 
Sunshine0235

My one male betta did fine with 3 glofish, i had one of each color glofish, red, yellow, and green. There wasn't any fighting or fin nipping at all.
Sunshine0235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #30 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsfishie View Post
Interesting! That sounds along the lines of what the pet store told me.
Yes, when they are still just eggs a they get the color change gene injected into them. They also pass this gene down to their babies, so not everyone needs to be died. There are no bad health effects and they live an ordinary life.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote