Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #1 
tokala

What do YOU have in your community tank?

I have done some shuffling, and right now Sam has a 10 Gal all to himself! I took out the dividers and Chester and Diablo have their own Minibows at the moment. They just seem happier with their own space. I was considering making the 10Gal a community tank in time but have tons of research to do still.

Just curious, what do YOU all have in your community tanks? What do you love about them, and not love? Good experiences? Bad? Favorite tank mates? Share your stories!

Here is my future community tank:
Attached Images

tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Right now I have a community with 6 male guppies, 4 neon tetras (I need to get more but don't have a spare QT tank right now), 1 mystery snail, some RCS and ghost shrimp, and 1 male VT betta (I do not recommend this under most circumstances).

I really don't like the guppies any more. They're all males and they nip each others fins. I got the neons hoping that other fish would discourage the nipping but it still goes on. Once these that I have die off I won't be replacing them.

I REALLY like the neons. They're super cute and are very active and really pop against my black background and substrate. I'd like to get at least 8 in there.

I love mystery snails. They really aren't good algae cleaners but they're cute and don't eat plants. They have a huge bioload though so count them as a betta when your stocking.

Shrimp are awesome. They're great little cleaners and have virtually no bioload. The only issue with the RCS is they're on the expensive side complared to ghosties and my betta has apparently snacked on a few.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #3 
Ariel1719

In my 10gal I had 8 Harlequin Rasbora's and 2 zebra snails. Snails pooped SO MUCH. SO i wouldn't suggest them, the rasbora's were really cool though! I returned them when I turned my 10gal into a non betta community tank.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I don't notice that much poop in my tank, however mine is planted so I don't vacuum the substrate to really see it anyways.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #5 
Ariel1719

Ive herd that about most snails, maybe its just the zebra ones. I literally watched them both slither around for 5 mins and pooped the WHOLE time lol.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 
tokala

I have heard some snails poop a lot too, but I still think I kind of want one. I absolutely LOVE fancy guppies, but figured it was a definite no since they have such colorful tails. Have you noticed any aggression from you betta towards the guppies?
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #7 
FireKidomaru

i have a 30 gallon with a huge albino tin foil shark, a kissing gourami, a striped fish that i have no idea what his name is and a sucker fish...they are absolutley massive and boring (besides the kissing gourami, hes adorable and very pink) my whole family is watiing for them to die so we can put some smaller cuter fishies in there like guppies, or mollies, or goldfish, or maybe (i could convince them) a betta sorority
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote