Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #1 
Rae6942

Unhappy Help please! - White spot of death D:

Oh god D:
I put 4 loaches in with my Betta into a 10g tank and they were doing just fine. That day I noticed a tiny white spot on two of the loaches. I started white spot treatment and it has been there for a week now, I have treated every day. The spots are everywhere and have spread to Styx (my CT Betta)
He hasn't changed his habits at all but i am so worried.
I don't know what to do and I am stressing out. I don't want to lose any of my fishies :(
Other bits...
Tank has filter and heater
I change 20% every week with fresh rainwater - no additives
I tested the ph and it's at 7.2
I have been using Aquamaster Rapid white spot remedy
On that note, can this type of medication stop working with age?
Rae6942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae6942 View Post
Oh god D:
I put 4 loaches in with my Betta into a 10g tank and they were doing just fine. That day I noticed a tiny white spot on two of the loaches. I started white spot treatment and it has been there for a week now, I have treated every day. The spots are everywhere and have spread to Styx (my CT Betta)
He hasn't changed his habits at all but i am so worried.
I don't know what to do and I am stressing out. I don't want to lose any of my fishies :(
Other bits...
Tank has filter and heater
I change 20% every week with fresh rainwater - no additives
I tested the ph and it's at 7.2
I have been using Aquamaster Rapid white spot remedy
On that note, can this type of medication stop working with age?
Your tank is extremely over stocked. Loaches require a very large tank.

Also, you aren't doing enough water changes. You should be doing 50% minimum. Don't use rainwater if you live in the city.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #3 
Rae6942

I live well out of the city. And the loaches are only 3cm long at the moment. They will be moved to a larger tank as they grow
Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #4 
Rae6942

I should clarify they are Clown Loaches
Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #5 
DarkMoon17

The Ich parasite has a 3 stage life cycle, only one step in their cycle is susceptible to medication. The visible white spots are immune to medication and only become susceptible when they fall off so they can reproduce. Though you can still see many white spots, the medication should still be killing the ones that fall off and preventing them from reproducing. It is a very gradual process...

To speed up their life cycle increase the temperature of the water *gradually* (no more than 1-2 degrees F per hour) to 82 degrees F. You will need to keep the water well aerated since hot water holds less oxygen. Continue treatment with your medication as instructed. As others have said, increase water changes. Medication can lose effectiveness if it is past its expiration date. Some can even become poisonous...

If you finish the treatment as the medication instructs and you still see white spots, I suggest ordering Potassium Permanganate online and using that instead. I swear by it for killing ich...

Good luck,
-DM17
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #6 
Rae6942

Thanks Dark Moon :) I'll certainly try it
Also, are there any medications that treat white spot, fin rot and cotton mouth etc (the three named mostly) all in one?
If it exists, I'd like to get something like that as a fallback for any future incursions
Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Usually no, they dont treat like that all-in-one. Try just finding one for ich and one for the other two, which are often lumped together. "cotton mouth", if youre refering to columnaris, needs gram negative medicines, so be wary of that when you buy.

Look for treatments for ich that include formalin, malachite green and blue.

A high dose of AQ salt (2+tsp/gallon) and high temps (82-3') can also do wonders, and is a more natural way. Idk if the loaches can handle that, though. Take care to make sure they can handle what youre adding to the tank. Idk if they are, but if theyre "scaleless" like tetras, etc, they need much less salt and need less medicine/different kinds.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
white spot