Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 
Bonginator

Water change tips - small fry?

Do any of you have tips of the trade for doing water changes with very small betta fry?

I like to keep my water/tank clean and these guys are so small, I don't want to lose any...

I was thinking of an airline siphon into a white container but would not want to use a net to take any fry out of the jar who make it in there.

Tips appreciated!
Bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I made a homemade siphon of sorts with airline hose and attached two chop stick to make it ridged, my thumb acts as the control valve.....I have hooks over my tanks so I can hang the bucket of water to refill by gravity flow with my little siphon

I use an old ice cream bucket to siphon the water out and then use a flashlight under it to check for the fry that may have been siphon by accident....I always seem to get a couple...lol.....

With fry...you just have to go slow and check the waste water...usually it doesn't hurt them when they get siphoned...but I always try to avoid it if I can......

I don't have to make water changes on my fry tanks like I once did since I keep them in a more natural setup...but when I did...I didn't start making my 50% daily water changes until I started feeding them and that was usually about a day or so after they started to free swim....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 
Bonginator

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I like the idea of trying the natural tank approach. I will try that sometime in the future.

Sandy
Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #4 
pdxBetta

I use a piece of rigid airline tubing and a piece of regular airline tubing as a siphon. I siphon into a white container and check for fry. I use a dropper like this to transfer the fry back into the tank.

pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #5 
Bonginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxBetta View Post
I use a piece of rigid airline tubing and a piece of regular airline tubing as a siphon. I siphon into a white container and check for fry. I use a dropper like this to transfer the fry back into the tank.

Love that. Where did you buy that type of dropper?

Sandy
Old 04-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #6 
pdxBetta

Most hobby shops or craft stores should have them.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote