Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #11 
metalbetta

Well, her scales look about the same... however she's a tad more bloated, and her fin rot (which i thought was getting better) is getting worse. She's still un-clamped and active though, thankfully. Went to walgreens a bit ago and picked up some epsom salt... They only have the giant jugs of it there, but whatever I grabbed it. Aaaaand some nail polish. Couldn't resist. :)
I just got home from work and got her water changed w/ the epsom salt and antibiotic. She's actually acclimating right now, and showing me her distaste for the cup by splashing at me.
Keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

I've been doing my best to keep her in the dark as well... She's on the kitchen counter near a space heater (w/ a nifty thermostat that keeps the temp constant. You try heating a gallon qt tank. lol) And since I don't do much cooking, that light will probably stay off for most of the day! :)

Last edited by metalbetta; 04-18-2011 at 03:32 PM.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #12 
TheKingsFish

Hopefully she picks up. In the meantime; have you isolated all of your girls or are they together? Quarantining each of them will make it easier to observe them for symptoms. They don't always show it on the outside (sometimes it just goes straight for the gills) which means you have to watch for odd behaviour, but in smaller containers it's also a lot easier to catch new colonies when they're really tiny :. they are easier to kill.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 
metalbetta

I hope so too. At the moment I have 2 of my girls in gallon quarantine tanks. The other 6 are still in the main tank. I'm not sure if I have enough containers to keep them seperated, but I could try. What's your opinion on treating the whole main tank together with antibiotics? (Sorry, I've never dealt with anything like this before, so lots of questions!) I really appreciate all of your advice by the way. :)
Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #14 
metalbetta

[EDIT: I should probably also mention as a precautionary measure I scrubbed everything in the tank, as well as the tank and gravel itself (with the exception of the filter media) with bleach. I brutally murdered whatever nasties were in there. It felt good. Smelled awful, but felt awesome.]
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #15 
FuulieQ

Be careful that your tank doesn't lose its cycle. I'd watch the water conditions for a while after a big clean like that. ;)

Sorry your girl's not getting any better. Good luck with the rest of them.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #16 
metalbetta

I didn't clean out the filter for that very reason, but I'm watching it just in case. If worse comes to worst I'll get the instant stuff... I know it's not nearly as good as what comes naturally, but I'm happy as long as ammonia and nitrites don't spike in my tank.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #17 
metalbetta

Well, I tried everything, but despite my efforts, Nina passed away this morning. Most likely while I was at work. It was probably for the best. She's not suffering anymore. She's already had a funeral and a burial. I'm gonna miss her.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I'll use what I learned in the future, and do my best to keep Delilah from meeting the same fate.