Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
n3wport

no seriously, my fish refuses to eat

Ive had him for 3 weeks now, Ive seen him eat twice, and it was a little tiny flake fragment or two.
He refuses the pellets, and flakes, and bloodworms! why? how is he still alive? He doesnt even look skinny. He is in a 5 gallon and it is 78 degrees and clean and blahblahblah. I dont get it?

The pellets are 'omega one'
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #2 
iheartslb

Have you tried crushing up the pellets? I had the same issue with Winslow, he would only eat a few flakes, and refused anything else. I crushed a few pellets, and he slowly started eating them and I worked him up to eating a full pellet.
iheartslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartslb View Post
Have you tried crushing up the pellets? I had the same issue with Winslow, he would only eat a few flakes, and refused anything else. I crushed a few pellets, and he slowly started eating them and I worked him up to eating a full pellet.
Sounds like a plan :) thanks!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #4 
Gerty7408

This is happening to me too! I've tried crushing pellets, flakes, soaking them. He won't eat anything :( But he swims around normal and flares and everything. Maybe he's eating off the bottom? I don't know! I'm so frustrated!
Gerty7408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerty7408 View Post
This is happening to me too! I've tried crushing pellets, flakes, soaking them. He won't eat anything :( But he swims around normal and flares and everything. Maybe he's eating off the bottom? I don't know! I'm so frustrated!
How long have you had your fish? It took Maka a day and a half to eat and Aki took hours to eat. If you recently got him then he might just not be hungry yet. He may need more time to adjust to his surroundings.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #6 
Gerty7408

I've also had him for three weeks. :( My water parameters are perfect, I have a heater. He swims around all happy so I don't know why he won't eat! He even swims up to them and just looks at them haha.
Gerty7408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #7 
Canuck Fins

Flakes are basically the potato chip of the fish food world so it's not bad to refuse those. :)

I use Topfin pellets which are pretty small. It might be worth trying a different pellet. Consistently try feeding twice a day and removing uneaten food. He'll eat when he's hungry. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #8 
Silverfang

have you tried live or frozen food? My boy is biting at the spoon I feed him with for frozen. And I've heard they love live food as well (please someone else feel free to jump in with more). For 8.99 enough frozen bloodworms that they will expire (2013) before they are all used.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote