Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #11 
alidawn15

The plants actually cause cycling to go much faster. Mine are in natural gravel from walmart and they're doing fine. They'd hold the best if your gravel is over an inch deep though.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #12 
alidawn15

Also, the crud in the bottom is actually good for the plants to some extent as it creates food for them.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #13 
tumtum

But eventually all the waste would buildup wouldn't it?
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #14 
alidawn15

Yes, you just clean around the plants when you change the water and leave where they're planted alone.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #15 
ireland

Exactly what alidawn15 have said

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
Do they have to have a certain kind of soil or rock to be rooted in? And do you ever have to do 100% water changes in your 10 gal? I don't understand how you would clean your rocks if they were rooted.
Though it is preferred that the substrate has macro and micro elements to benefit the plants it is not necessary. I don't do 100% water change because it is unnecessary at this scale and I have otocinclus in there and they are very sensitive to huge amounts of water change. The most I've ever done is 30% water change.
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #16 
LeroyTheBetta

If you don't have a gravel siphon, you could get one.... these "vacuum" the gunk out of the gravel. They're easy to use and one end you just push down into the gravel and bring it back up... just go across the bottom of your tank repeating this over and over. You get the gunk plus the water as it sort of sifts through the gravel. In my tank, I just do the open areas, going up near to the plants...... and as other posts have said, the "mulm" (gunk in the gravel) is good for the plants, but you don't want too much of it.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #17 
tumtum

I have a siphon already. I think im going to cycle my 10 gal, should i buy and insert the plants before I start cycling? or after?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #18 
Littlebittyfish

I got a mini syphon from petco..It is wonderful for getting in between hard to reach spots. I thought my other syphon was quite bulky...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #19 
tumtum

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
omg, ireland, that's a BEAUTIFUL tank!!! just had to point that out. my 10 gal is soooo jealous!

yea, plants are very easy, just do a little research for low light plants (which is what you'll want to start with, they're the easiest), their care needs, and pick out which ones you like!

i suggest anubias, crypts, mosses, java fern, wisteria, watersprite, and floaters (duckweed, frogbit, etc) they're all easy to care for, just look up how to properly place them in the substrate/tied onto something.

live plants make wonderful additions to fish tanks!! you won't regret adding them!
The only one I saw petco had online was anubias. Do you think they would have more in store? I could have sworn they had java fern my last visit. Also how many individual plants do you think I would need to stock each individual section of a 10 gallion divided threeway? Wouldn't they grow during the month long cycling period?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #20 
ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I got a mini syphon from petco..It is wonderful for getting in between hard to reach spots. I thought my other syphon was quite bulky...
I have one too and I love it. I have the one with the extension and it makes things a whole lot easier. I felt the same way about my bigger one that's why I bought the small one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
The only one I saw petco had online was anubias. Do you think they would have more in store? I could have sworn they had java fern my last visit. Also how many individual plants do you think I would need to stock each individual section of a 10 gallion divided threeway? Wouldn't they grow during the month long cycling period?
I'm pretty sure the store would have more, if anything at least java ferns. There has been no fish store that I have gone to that did not had java ferns. As for how many, I've always felt "the more the better", but make sure to still have room for the bettas to swim freely. During that month of cycling you probably wont be able to tell much growth as this plant is a really slow grower. It took me a year to get 2 good looking mother java fern, as compare to my water wisteria that i trim every other week.
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote