Hi, just got my very first betta 3 weeks ago. I cannot believe what fun I've been missing all these years ! I thought he'd just look pretty in the tank and swim around but no, this guy has personality. I swear he wags his tail like a dog at me when he wants fed and watches me as much as I watch him.
Anyway, since this is my first betta I went the easy route and got fake plants and aquarium rocks for my 2 gallon picture aquarium that hangs on the wall. I am so glad to find this site because the fish store told me totally incorrect information. Said I could change 50% water one week and 100% change the next week. They also said I didn't need a heater. Looks like I need a heater AND 100% changes each week. (A little bit more maintenance than hoped for).
I'm glad I found this site - I now know what those bubbles were all about ! I guess he's been happy.
1) I was thinking to add Java moss to the tank, but the tank is thin and he'd have to go thru the java moss to swim. I'm afraid he could get caught and drown - does that happen ?
2) Besides being pretty, is there a true benefit to real plants in the tank or does that just mean that the water won't stay as clear and more frequent changes are needed ? I was thinking to get a tiny moss ball too - they said they float to the top and then sink... sounds cool. I'd prefer a low maintenance tank - so if staying artificial is the way to go ?
3) Is there a reason for the one day fast ? The info. on here is completely different from what I got at the LFS (see I learn quickly:). They told me to feed him 2 pellets per day. That's it. I see on here other folks are feeding 2 pellets in the morning and again 2 pellets in the evening... which is better ?
4) I got white painted aquarium rock at Walmart - but it actually seems as though the white is coming off ! When I do a 100% change the water becomes really cloudy with what looks to be white dust. That can't be good for him. The bag does say it's for aquariums so why is it doing this and should I stop using it and use something else ?
5) Can I feed the betta gnats and flies ? Do they have to be alive to catch his interest ?
Thanks all for helping me give the best care possible to Goldie my orange betta.