Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #3131 
JenMarie10

^^Awesome!
JenMarie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #3132 
cjayBetta

How many gallons is that aquarium?
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #3133 
sunnydawnie

Smile

2 Gallons. I'm debating on putting some live java moss in it too. Not sure what that would do to the space/ water balance of the tank or if that would complicate keeping the water clean.

This is my first betta so this site has been helpful so far. Any suggestions from experienced betta owners welcome. The store said I didn't need a heater so I was surprised to hear that I needed one per this site. The store also told me to change 50% of the water the first week, then 100% the next. Looks like I should be changing 100% each week ?

Also, I'm so glad I read up on the site --- now I know what all those bubbles are at the top of the tank! I guess he's happy !
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #3134 
cjayBetta

Thats kewl
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #3135 
Lion Mom

sunnydawnie, the java moss would not take up much room at all since it is a moss and it would do nothing but good for your water quality.

Non-filtered 2 gal. tank/bowl would need a 50% and 100% water change a week.

Yup - heater is needed since they like it on the warm side. Some say 78 minimum, but I have a couple that like it a 77.

Hope that helps!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #3136 
sunnydawnie

How do you know if your fish "likes" the water temp ?

Also, how do you know it is time to change the water? I've been waiting a week... which apparently is too long.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #3137 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydawnie View Post

Also, how do you know it is time to change the water? I've been waiting a week... which apparently is too long.
I know because these two "oddballs" are more active in the "cooler" water. They, for whatever reason, seem to get sluggish at slightly higher temps. Which is the opposite of MOST bettas.

You don't "know" per se because you can't see ammonia which is deadly. You just get on a schedule - pick a day for his 50% change and then another day for his 100% change. For example - 100% on Saturday and 50% on Wednesday.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #3138 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydawnie View Post

For water temp, get a thermometer and a heater. :) Too cold, their immune systems will shut down, they become sluggish, loose their color, fins clamped... etc.
For water quality get a testing kit, you can't see ammonia so you couldn't just determine when to change your tank from the looks of the water. Clear water doesn't always equate to good water. ^^ As a general rule 1g-3g 100% every week with a 50% in between, a filter will not change the frequency, but rather the amount of water needed changing.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #3139 
sunnydawnie

What ammonia level should the water be ?

Guess I'll be needing a heater, thermometer, & testing kit.
I can't believe how much money I'm spending on this $6 fish - HA !!!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #3140 
Lion Mom

Zero!!!! That is the amt. of ammonia that should be in the water for a healthy fish - ZERO!!!

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank