Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #11 
DarkMoon17

On second thought, I just remembered that salt won't help you much with internal parasites (only external parasites)... You would have much more luck with Metronidazole and no salt. Metronidazole is sold as "flagyl" in veterinary hospitals and is also very cheap. You would have to pay more if you bought it at a pet store though. But any fish medicine that contains Metronidazole will help.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #12 
reaper0325

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
On second thought, I just remembered that salt won't help you much with internal parasites (only external parasites)... You would have much more luck with Metronidazole and no salt. Metronidazole is sold as "flagyl" in veterinary hospitals and is also very cheap. You would have to pay more if you bought it at a pet store though. But any fish medicine that contains Metronidazole will help.
Thanks! The anorexia and scoliosis all point out to TB.. The stubby pecs is most probably just an effect of deteriorating health.

But I would try metronidazole and see if it works. Arrggh this just sucks. I hope they don't all die. What a waste of good bettas.
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems with the fry...that can be so frustrating.....when it is a select few that are showing symptoms...it usually is genetic related....bent spines is a good clue....part of a breeders job is to weed out the weak, sick and deformed fry......I would cull all the sick fry.......to give the healthy fry a better chance......and start making 50-80% daily water changes on the remaining fry and increase their nutrition intake to boost their immune response.......I would even go as far as using some Epsom salt 1tsp/gal in the tank with the remaining healthy fry....good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #14 
reaper0325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry you are having problems with the fry...that can be so frustrating.....when it is a select few that are showing symptoms...it usually is genetic related....bent spines is a good clue....part of a breeders job is to weed out the weak, sick and deformed fry......I would cull all the sick fry.......to give the healthy fry a better chance......and start making 50-80% daily water changes on the remaining fry and increase their nutrition intake to boost their immune response.......I would even go as far as using some Epsom salt 1tsp/gal in the tank with the remaining healthy fry....good luck....
Others which were healthy yesterday are now starting to lose appetite. But I am still hoping that this is genetic related.

I am very frustrated. All my hard work ended up with this.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #15 
reaper0325

The thought of parasite infection or TB makes me want to quit breeding.