Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #11 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
The first water change you do in the week you need to remove half the water. Three to four days after that, catch your fish in a cup and change all the water. With a cycle or plants to suck up some of the ammonia, the water will become toxic if you don't do at least one full change in a week.
I think u can cycle a 2.5 gallon. Not sure though...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #12 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
I think u can cycle a 2.5 gallon. Not sure though...
I think maintaining a cycle in a 2.5 is for people who have been in the hobby awhile and know how to keep it going and not let it crash.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #13 
Neil D

How don't you let it crash? Just gotta keep enough ammonia in there to feed the bacteria right?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #14 
sjones

Be sure the water temperature is the same as the water the betta is currently in, this is VERY important. Get a cheap thermometer (2$ walmart) to test the water temp when doing water changes. If the water temp is too different you could kill your fish. And be sure to use a water conditioner to take harmful chemicals out of tap water. I don't think a siphon is necessary for such a small tank, just use a cup or pitcher (I use a gallon plastic pitcher), for your partials and dump the entire tank for your 100%, additionally a turkey baster is a cheap and effective way to spot clean poop and uneaten foods :)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #15 
Neil D

Don't go to Walmart!!!!!!! You'll see the bettas, be disgusted by their living conditions and bring half of them home! If you can avoid this, go ahead
Old 04-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #16 
Blazer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Be sure the water temperature is the same as the water the betta is currently in, this is VERY important. Get a cheap thermometer (2$ walmart) to test the water temp when doing water changes. If the water temp is too different you could kill your fish. And be sure to use a water conditioner to take harmful chemicals out of tap water. I don't think a siphon is necessary for such a small tank, just use a cup or pitcher (I use a gallon plastic pitcher), for your partials and dump the entire tank for your 100%, additionally a turkey baster is a cheap and effective way to spot clean poop and uneaten foods :)
Partials as in ornaments, gravel, plants?
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #17 
Blazer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Don't go to Walmart!!!!!!! You'll see the bettas, be disgusted by their living conditions and bring half of them home! If you can avoid this, go ahead
Dont worry I know google "walmart fish abuse" and there are like 60 pages worth of links.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #18 
Blazer23

You can really avoid killing some fish just not a mountain worth of fish in walmart.

Tags
betta, change, filter, plant, water