Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 
mernincrazy8525

How do you cure popeye

my poor female has popeye. On one eye but nothing changed and her tank size didnt change. her water is at 78 degrees. And i just wanted to know how to cure it and if it is contagious.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Have a few questions....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, tank mates, appetite, how long have you had her and has she ever been sick....any behavior changes or other signs/symptoms...

Since it is just one eye it may be injury related, however, I would treat to prevent a secondary infection.....

Once I get the information asked-I will be able to give you a treatment....also can you post a pic of the eyes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 
mernincrazy8525

daily water changes. 1 gallon tank. no filter. live plants. no tank mates. bloodworms and flakes.had her for like a month. just saw it yesterday when i had her in the breeding tank but i pulledd them both out so i could cure her.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like an injury...I would do a 10 day Epsom salt 2tsp/gal treatment along with the 100% daily water changes in a smaller QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range......I would continue to condition her as well since it sounds like you plan a spawn...

Once you complete the 10 day treatment-I would back off on some of the water changes.....1gal unfiltered-1-50% and 1-100% weekly should maintain water quality, however, since you have live plants....depending on how many and what kind you may only need to do 1-2 50% weekly and let the plants take care of the water.......this way the fish can build strong antibodies for a healthy immune response.....
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #5 
mernincrazy8525

so I will do the epsom salt bath and she didnt have it before i put her in the spawning tank or when she was floating so the male could flare but a day after i released her I noticed it. and then after i saw this i noticed she would flare te male away. she didnt do this before i realized she had it.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It can happen fast and often unavoidable....stuff happens....laffs......