Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 
orphansparrow

fin rot? - where to buy meds?

hello!

i have had my new betta Yangtze for about 3 weeks now. i bought him from a place that probably kept him in dirty water most of the time. (when i bought him, he was in clean water, and very active, and looked healthy). i have him housed in a 2 gallon tank with no filter. i do a 100% water change every saturday.

for the last couple days he seems less active...kind of lounging around on his plant or on a rock sometimes. also, i noticed yesterday the edges of his fins look like he is in the beginning stages of fin rot. the fins look darker and maybe thinner on the very edges...

so, i researched a little and thought i might start him on tetracyline or ampicillin, but i cannot find any in local petstores, and online, i only find it for large animals, so i wouldn't know how to dose his tank.

i would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks so much!

our stats:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 65 - 70 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? air stone, on only sometimes.
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: 6.5 - 6.8
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? see above
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? see above
When did you start noticing the symptoms? see above
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? first time
How old is your fish (approximately)? adult
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
Silverfang

yikes! first thing I have to say is he needs a heater, they like high 70's, 78 is ideal. And in a 2gal you should really add a second water change in a week. IF it is fin rot, clean water and AQ salt will be your best course of action.

I have a 2.65gal tank, and use a marina mini 10W. It's not adjustable, and it keeps the temperature about 75. One you can manually adjust is better, and don't forget a thermometer so you don't accidentally cook the poor guy. Cold water can cause them to be rather listless, and even into shock.

Last edited by Silverfang; 04-29-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #3 
orphansparrow

silverfang - high 70s? wow, i knew his water was a bit cold, but i had read 70 - 75 was the ideal range. i read that the average temp. of a household is okay. basically, if you are comfortable, your betta should be... i didn't realize there was a heater out there that wouldn't cook him in such a small tank...i've always been nervous about getting a heater, because if i have to go away for a few days, which i often do, i'm afraid something would happen with the heater and it would turn off, or get hotter or something that would cause a drastic temp. change.

i had also read in my betta book that any more than 1 change per week will stress them out! not true? (of course now that he has some signs of fin rot, i will change it more often..)

thanks for the suggestion about aquarium salt, that is something i can find easily. and you think no antibiotics??
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #4 
orphansparrow

EDIT: I GUESS I WAS WRONG WHEN I WROTE THE TEMP. RANGE down - and thank God! i just went to check in on my buddy, and saw that the water temp is at 73. still not great, but better than i remembered.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Certainly is, but still no very good. Lower temps are dangerous and stressful, so I would take care to warm that tank up, safely. Try putting a heating pad (on low) under the tank and carefully monitor the temp until you can get a heater, which you need, trust me.

For now, opt not to go with medicines. As said, aquarium salt is all you need. Its cheap and easy to get. Dose into the tank 1tsp/gallon of the salt for 7-10 days (max, because done for too long is harmful) and change the water each day, 100%.

It takes a bit of effort, but this is a tried and true way of getting rid of rot.

I would also up the usual change schedule to a 50% change once a week (like in the middle of the week) and then a 100% some other time.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #6 
orphansparrow

okay pew pew. i am going to get the aquarium salt today, and look for a heater safe enough for a 2 gallon. i don't have a heating pad though...

so, for regular water changes you are saying, for example:

i do a 100% water change on saturday, and then a 50% on wednesday, and then 100% again on saturday, and so on?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #7 
jackals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Certainly is, but still no very good. Lower temps are dangerous and stressful, so I would take care to warm that tank up, safely. Try putting a heating pad (on low) under the tank and carefully monitor the temp until you can get a heater, which you need, trust me.

For now, opt not to go with medicines. As said, aquarium salt is all you need. Its cheap and easy to get. Dose into the tank 1tsp/gallon of the salt for 7-10 days (max, because done for too long is harmful) and change the water each day, 100%.

It takes a bit of effort, but this is a tried and true way of getting rid of rot.

I would also up the usual change schedule to a 50% change once a week (like in the middle of the week) and then a 100% some other time.
I heard oldfishlady say for fin rot and shock that epsom salt is better than aq salt.. I have both.. if you see my thread pewpewpew I would be grateful to have your insight. Thank you
jackals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

I dont believe that is true. She is either recommending the epsom for another symptom or you are confused, imo. Epsom reduces bloating, pressure and acts as a laxative.

And yes OP- that sounds more than reasonable. However, I highly suggest for the duration of your salt treatment that you do a 100% change each day, with proper acclimation. Once the rot is gone,then that'll be a great schedule!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Both Epsom salt and aquarium salt have antibacterial/fungal properties and work well for fin rot, however, when it is just fin rot I like to use aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes while in a small QT container.

When you have other thing that are going on with the fish like shock from pH and/or nitrate- Epsom salt would be more effective....but if it is nitrite- aquarium salt would be best...make sense.....lol.....

When treating it is best to use a small bare bottom clear container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F area....this makes it easier to observe the fish and make the needed 100% water changes using the correct dosage of salts

I also recommend pre-mixing the treatment water in 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the correct amount of salts and you can also add the tannins to steep- which is always good to use regardless of what you are treating....by having the treatment water pre-mixed-this insures correct dosage and make the 100% water changes easier......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #10 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
And yes OP- that sounds more than reasonable. However, I highly suggest for the duration of your salt treatment that you do a 100% change each day, with proper acclimation. Once the rot is gone,then that'll be a great schedule!
thanks so much for the advice! i have much hope for him, because, although his fins are looking a little tattered on the edges, he has lots of energy all day today and yesterday, swimming all around his tank. ^_^

Tags
fin rot