Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #1 
Marona

Oh god yes a 29gal<3

I'm going to ramble. :c Sorry.

Ok so I need help stocking a 29gal. I'm so excited so I've been flitting from each type of fish I want to put in it. I've already had some trouble with it, though. It nearly killed my favourite boy. I think the cotton mouth he got was from stress and the water current was just too strong for his big fins. So I've changed my mind on this and I'd like to try females as they have a much easier time swimming around. (The current will slow once I fill it more, but I'm waiting for a day off to go to my LFS for the last piece: bogwood<3)

I'm going for a natural look in the tank itself. Have one fake rock structure. Small gravel with a few bigger river-bed looking rocks. I'm going to add some sand soon, too, so that my albino corys have something to dig around in. Again, waiting on the bogwood. I've had them a few weeks now, though, in my established 5gal. I bought them being misled that they eat algae and didn't have the heart to take them back. But they're doing fine in my 29gal with the few tiny tetra-like starter fish I got to help the cycle. (These aren't fish I care/really want to keep forever. And I do not remember what they were called at all. But they're basically tiny tetras.)

So help me decide how else to stock this tank! I'll possibly get a third cory but they seem really fine just with two right now. I've been watching their stress level carefully. No worries not tossing anything else in after my boy took a toll from it. Right now making sure everyone else in the tank is ok. This is just to pass the time and plan ahead. :)

I saw this gorgeous yellow plecho at my LFS the other day. I'd love to have him. I'm not so much concerned about him with the females but with the corys. Anyone heard of these getting along? I can always move my corys to a different tank, or let my friend take care of them. The plecho was too rare and beautiful to pass up.

I like color, so keep that in mind if giving suggestions. ;)
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #2 
turtle10

Don't cycle with the cories in there!!!! Cories and other scaleless fish should never be present while the tank cycles, there is a great chance it will kill them.

Cories need to be in groups higher than two or three, they are very social fish and need to be in groups of at least 4-5, so I would definitely get more.

I personally would not get the pleco and the cories, that seems like too many bottom feeders.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #3 
shinybetta

The pleco is a Bristlenose Pleco right? Not rare, but for some reason pet stores don't like selling them. The corydoras and pleco are fine together, I actually have them together right now.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #4 
Alex09

In MY experience cories do fine in groups of 3. Dont cycle with them though!
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote