Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #1 
copperarabian

Unhappy My Betta just gorged itself

Today I was fasting my HM King Betta, and he was constantly begging me for food but I ignored it. When I went to feed my cichlid (who's sticks are about an inch long) my betta ate one, I ran over and grabbed my smaller net to move him into my fry container until my cichlid finished eating, but in that small amount of time he ate another. Now he has a fat little tummy. I know I probably just need to fast him and he'll be fine, but I'm worried about constipation, and swim bladder problems.... and anything else I might not know about.

Also I had seen him eat a cichlid stick once, but it was a piece that had broken and was a little less then half a full one. I never thought he would even think about eating a whole one, let alone two :(

I've included some photo's

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #2 
Emmalea

Poor guy, I bet hes not feeling to great right now.

From the photos he doesn't look to bad, I would fast him for a day or two and keep a close eye on him.
If you see him having issues swimming you might need to start him on an epsom salt treatment but I would wait a few days and see how he does.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #3 
copperarabian

he's pooping now so I'm not as worried about constipation or something becoming impacted.

I was kinda freaking out when I posted this, I'm really attached to all my fish, and this betta has really grown on me.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

Fast him for three days then give him one bite per day for two.
Won't hurt him, should do a lot of good.

Its quite common with large predators in zoos for a feed day followed by two fast days.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #5 
copperarabian

Thank you :D
Old 05-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #6 
fosschick

Have you seen any of my threads? My betta looks like this all the time! He's a totally happy guy. I thought mine was from overfeeding but I'm quite wrong. Oh well. Best of luck for your little guy, and don't sweat it. He'll be just fine. :)
fosschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #7 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosschick View Post
Have you seen any of my threads? My betta looks like this all the time! He's a totally happy guy. I thought mine was from overfeeding but I'm quite wrong. Oh well. Best of luck for your little guy, and don't sweat it. He'll be just fine. :)

He was definitely smaller before, but I'm glad to know I was over reacting just a little. I'll look at some of your threads and see how your fish looks :) Mine is already starting to look better, he pooped a lot lol I'm still going to be careful and give him one piece off food for two days though just in case....
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 
fosschick

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
He was definitely smaller before, but I'm glad to know I was over reacting just a little. I'll look at some of your threads and see how your fish looks :) Mine is already starting to look better, he pooped a lot lol I'm still going to be careful and give him one piece off food for two days though just in case....
It's quite a long story for me. Essentially I'd assumed that I fed my betta too many freeze-dried foods, so I cut them out completely, fasted him, put him in a QT with epsom salt for 10 days, floating in his main tank. After fasting I fed him only daphnia for a while, watched him continue to eat greedily and poop normally, etc. His water levels were great the whole time, and showed no other symptoms other than the bloated stomach and color becoming a bit dull. Now his color is coming back nicely, but he still has a bloated belly. He's back in his main tank and only eating live or frozen foods. Still bloated. Since your root cause is pretty much known, I highly doubt this is going to happen to your fish. Just trying to make you feel a little bit better about your situation.
fosschick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gorged betta