Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #1 
Burd

Petco's "Betta Care" Stinks. Literally.

So I went to my local petco today. They had two little crowntail females I've had my eye on for a week or so that I've wanted to start a sorority with. I got them and brought them home and the smell... oh my lord... I opened both cups to not only filthy stinking water but it seems like their 'care' of bettas while they're in the store consisted of the following.

1. Put 2 inches of water in cup.
2. Put fish in cup.
3. Dump a crap ton of bloodworms in.
4. Leave till a customer buys.

These poor girls were practically drowning in what looked like bloodworms that had been in the water for a couple days. Tiny little fish... with about 4 times their body masses in food just dumped on them.

Petco may have the best selection of bettas for chain stores but I've found that their employees lack in both care and knowledge of the animals they sell. Unless it's fluffy and can learn tricks.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
baylee767

That's terrible D= Sounds like some serious fasting time...

And I thought my petco was bad. Why would they dump all those blood worms in? It's like being in a closet nearly filled with burgers. I wish they'd at least have some SENSE.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

That's so sad! Congrats on your new girls, maybe pics later? :) And my walmart is worse, it looks like someone just dumps in hunks of bread. Plus, they leave the food out right next to the cups, with a sign that says "do not feed". Why not just put the food somewhere where people won't do anything to them? :( So so sad. I hate my walmart. I'm sorry about your girlies, hope they are okay!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

wow that sucks.My petco takes really good care of there fish and gets some really nice ones in too, they acually put some of the VT's in there community tanks.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #5 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
That's so sad! Congrats on your new girls, maybe pics later? :) And my walmart is worse, it looks like someone just dumps in hunks of bread. Plus, they leave the food out right next to the cups, with a sign that says "do not feed". Why not just put the food somewhere where people won't do anything to them? :( So so sad. I hate my walmart. I'm sorry about your girlies, hope they are okay!

Don't get me started about wal-mart... our local wal-mart had one betta in barely just enough water for his body (not his fins, his -body-) to be able to stay in it. It was filthy and swimming was impossible.

I'll try and take pics later. They must've been just brought to the store recently because they're not only tiny but ho-man the breeding bars on both of them are like headlights XD This is the first time I've noticed petco being so bad on care. Most of the cups look impeccable and heck, several of their males had bubblenests in their cups. Maybe someone was just a jerk and dumped a ton of food in these two cups. They were side by side and VERY similar, so I have to assume they are spawn sisters or at the least very young. They're sooooo tiny! <3
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

I went to an aquarium store with bettas in conditions like that. One betta's back was sticking out of his water, and he had a bad fungus or bacterial infection. The betta with the most water had 1/10 gallon. So sad! Can't wait for pics, the poor babys.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #7 
laughing

My PetCos differ. The one right by my apartment is amazing. SO many selections, all healthy and well cared for. The one that's more of a "trip" are okay, but not fabulous. The first time I went in a betta carcus was below the wiring holding them up. I was like "Umm... Dude..." and the employee cleaned the poor fish up.

My PetSmarts are like that, too. Some are amazing, some really suck, but most are average. And only one walmart in a 20 mile radius from me carries bettas, and it's a VERY small selection.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #8 
RiverStoneBetta

Boba was in similar conditions when I bought him. There were several uneaten, water-logged pellets in his cup, and he didn't have enough water to fully stretch his fins. Most of the other cups weren't like this, and I was about ready to ask someone about him, when a store associate actualy came up behind me and said "I wouldn't get that one. He refuses to eat and just lays there."

So AFTER I blew up on the idiot, I promptly bought him, plopped him in a 2.5, heated filtered tank, and gave him a pinch of bloodworms. He ate heartily, and he's the first fish I see when I walk into my room and the last one I see before I leave. It's a shame he's a tail-biter.

But there's a new PetCo opening up nearby, and I'm hoping I get hired so I can help keep fishies safe and healthy.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #9 
Luimeril

talk to the manager. that.... is.... slack. .___. SOMEONE doesn't enjoy their job. >.>; I'LL TAKE IT IF YOU DON'T WANT IT, SLACK EMPLOYEE! :D

.___. but, really. that's. slack. your girls probably didn't know what to do with the wormies!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #10 
TonyK

The Petco by my house seems alright. Whenever I go all the cups look good fish look healthy and well cared for.

On a side note. I was talking to one of their employees. I was telling her I was in the process of cycling the tank my betta was in. She then tells me me " I just keep them in the cup and when they did they die I will just get another one". I did say they was very uncool and very inhumane treatment of a living creature. After that the conversation ended.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote